Pulling Field Information from Another DB (1 Viewer)

Novice1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:20
I have two databases. One database lists people with issues that need to be resolved. The other database is a sign-in tool.

The sign-in tool is open (the other DB is not opened). Here's what I want to do: When a customer signs in, the sign-in tool check the person's name in the other DB. If the person has an issue that needs to be resolved, the sign-in tool will alert the customer service technician.

I just need the general concept on how to do this. Can I check a query in a closed database? I believe I know how to write the alert message.

Any help would be appreciated.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:20
the easiest way would be to create a linked table in your signin db to the table(s) required in the other db - then write your queries based on the linked tables

Novice1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:20
If I link tables, how does the data get updated in the database that now has the linked table? Is it done when the database is opened? Is there a refresh methodology? I don't understand. Please explain.

MS$DesignersRCretins

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:20
If I link tables, how does the data get updated in the database that now has the linked table? Is it done when the database is opened? Is there a refresh methodology? I don't understand. Please explain.
You say "in the database that now has the linked table" (the issues database) but your question sounds like you're asking about the sign-in tool database.

If so, your answers depend on how you will enter new "customer issues" :

1. If that is managed separately than the sign-in DB - by a separate form, import or other means, managed inside the issues DB - then "nothing" happens in the sign-in DB. It contains a virtual link to the issues DB such that the sign-in DB only has the issues data "available upon demand." You would query the linked table to get an effectively "refreshed" set of issues data for a sign-in user.

2. If you want to update the issues DB content based on actions done in the sign-in DB, well, just do it :) to "refresh" the issues DB.

If you're instead asking about how the issues DB gets updated, same deal. It either gets updated from some process internal to the issues DB, or by updating the linked table via action by the sign-in DB.

I hope this helps focus it. If this just muddies your problem, just disregard it. The point I'm making - which you probably knew but needed to focus - is that when you link, there's no "refreshing of the link" such as when Excel links to another .XLS. Rather, the link just gives you a table name for which you can "ask" (query) what the updated data is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom