Purchase Access, Run-Time Version, or Convert? (1 Viewer)

Klegg72

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:42
Hello,
I recently developed a SKU generator for a garment company, and I am trying to figure out the best way to deploy it on his computer.

He doesn't have Access so I'm trying to figure this out without making him buy it.

I tried running it in the Run-Time environment, but he wasn't able to edit anything. I knew Run-Time limited edits, but I thought those limitations were not allowing Design View, VBA code viewing, etc. I thought changing data in tables via form controls would work. (I still feel like data edits might be possible, and I'm just doing something wrong. Yes/No?)

I did some research on converting the database to a different type, but from what I can tell I'd loose all the forms, and have to learn a new language. (which would cost more than purchasing Access)

Is my best option to just have him buy Access and deploy the database as an ACCDE?

Thank You!!

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:42
You should still be able to edit data in your run time version of your DB :confused:

Klegg72

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:42
That's what I thought. Maybe I need to find a computer that doesn't have Access so I can "see" what happens when Run-Time Access is installed and the database is launched. The user is 6hr drive away from me so I was trying to work him through it over the phone.

Thanks

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:42
File permissions?

If the database is split, have you checked the permissions on the back end file too?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 16:42
  1. If you change your db's extension to accdr you will get to see , more or less, what the client sees.
  2. If your client (or your installer) did not enable the application (or put it in a trusted location) then code/macros will be disabled.
  3. Guiding client over phone? You can always see the client's screen using Skype. You can manipulate client's screen using the free VNC, or, easier, gotoAssist, Teamviewer, Logmein...or some similar remote desktop s/w.

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:42
An odd old problem that I used to come across every now and then was when files were copied from a CD to a hard drive they were left as read-only.

This was solved by wrapping them up in a zip file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom