Python Forum for Beginners? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:18
I'm a beginner in python and can use a forum for the occasional Q&A stuff.
Aside from Stack Overflow, (which I'll brave it too, but I don't hold out much hope of surviving the rigorous standards as a beginner), is there a good python forum? One that's active, friendly enough to ask the occasional stupid question, but traversed by plenty of knowledgeable people?

I did spend some time Googling the issue and was unimpressed with my results - thus posting here in case someone knows.

Python.org is a mess - the webpage won't even load, or comes up blank. (my internet is working fine). This doesn't bode well for that one.
Feedspot comes up in all my searches, but more like a virus/scam in nature than anything else.
Python-forum.io looked promising, but when I click "Register" link it says We cannot process your registration because there has already been 1 new registration(s) from your ip address in the past 24 hours. Which of course is ridiculous (!!!!), c'mon man, it's 2022, haven't they heard of people working in a corporate setting - all 5000 people are going to be "from the same IP address" ! Frustrating and really dumb on their part IMO.

A lot of the links I found are fake, and actually just lead back to Feedspot, some kind of aggregator site that keeps popping up a "Free trial".

Recommendations welcome!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:18
I don't think that there is a "real" Python forum. Of course, now that I have said it, I will be immediately proven to be wrong.
Consider looking here: Syndicated Linux News. This thread is a news aggregator, so you get news, such as: LXer: 10 Useful Python One-Liners You Must Know. Saving the stories would allow you to build a library over time. Don't let tag "Linux" scare you away. I assume that you have run across, this type of webpage Python For Beginners. Another one: Learn Python.

Have you considered taking a (video) course through your local community college?

A while back, I made a suggestion that the forum Web Design and Development be reconfigured. Using the words "Web Design" is unintentionally misleading. It should re-characterized as an alternative approach to developing database solutions similar to what MS Access does. Sub-forms would include Python, PHP, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, etc.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I am going to check those out, thank you.
Starting to get frustrated with Python here at work. So we work on a VDI virtually, and they installed Python. All good so far, or so I thought.

I imagined myself learning how to code python from that point. Hammering away useful little scripts to get familiar with how it all works.
Until I realized the following. A barebones Python installation gets you nowhere. Just about every useful thing under the sun is an open-source-developed Library. Some people love this, it opens the door to "anything" ... but on the other hand, for those of us who have to jump through hoops to get an additional 'thing' installed, it means the basic Python installation is near useless as far as I can tell.

To do any of the nifty stuff, you have to install optional things for everything under the sun.

All I've been able to do so far is create functions that perform simple math, just to practice syntax and forming rules.

I couldn't even make a program that I typically make upon joining any new job (a script to convert a vertical list of stuff into a delimited clause ready for a SQL In() clause, quite handy when bumping up lists of stuff against a SQL database!, which I usually make in VBScript or VBA).
First thing that happened was I needed to import win32clipboard which of course, did not exist.

Is the native Python good for anything???
Or is it a matter of, I'd need to learn how to code much more intensely, like those people who CREATED those python libraries, which they must have done with only Python.......or wait....actually no, because there is a library out there for python to create GUI screens, which obviously is using something other than just python..

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Isaac: My sympathies. When I went cold turkey on MS Access and Windows, I took up learning Python along with the whole alphabet soup of PHP,HTML,CSS,etc. I soon discontinued with Python as I became more comfortable with the PHP style environment for managing my databases.

Have you installed accessed the Python IDLE?
IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment) is an integrated development environment (IDE) for Python. The Python installer for Windows contains the IDLE module by default.
IDLE can be used to execute a single statement just like Python Shell and also to create, modify, and execute Python scripts. IDLE provides a fully-featured text editor to create Python script that includes features like syntax highlighting, autocompletion, and smart indent. It also has a debugger with stepping and breakpoints features.
To start an IDLE interactive shell, search for the IDLE icon in the start menu and double click on it.
Since I am using Linux, I can't comment on how to access it under Windows or how it works under Windows. It's a very useful tool.

Here is a recent Microsoft article: Quickstart: Use Python to query a database
I have no idea on how good this but it does not appear to be a good tutorial: How To Connect And Work With MS Access Database Using Python pyodbc

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
@Isaac the link https://www.python.org/ seems to be working. From what I can tell it looks to be a good resource.

1665590242789.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It was my corporate stupid security wall

AntonioOzele

Local time
Today, 07:18
I'm a beginner in python and can use a forum for the occasional Q&A stuff.
Aside from Stack Overflow, (which I'll brave it too, but I don't hold out much hope of surviving the rigorous standards as a beginner), is there a good python forum? One that's active, friendly enough to ask the occasional stupid question, but traversed by plenty of knowledgeable people?

I did spend some time Googling the issue and was unimpressed with my results - thus posting here in case someone knows.

Python.org is a mess - the webpage won't even load, or comes up blank. (my internet is working fine). This doesn't bode well for that one.
Feedspot comes up in all my searches, but more like a virus/scam in nature than anything else.
Python-forum.io looked promising, but when I click "Register" link it says We cannot process your registration because there has already been 1 new registration(s) from your ip address in the past 24 hours. Which of course is ridiculous (!!!!), c'mon man, it's 2022, haven't they heard of people working in a corporate setting - all 5000 people are going to be "from the same IP address" ! Frustrating and really dumb on their part IMO.

A lot of the links I found are fake, and actually just lead back to Feedspot, some kind of aggregator site that keeps popping up a "Free trial".

Recommendations welcome!
The question as a beginner is whether to start learning this programming language, or it is better to choose another. Which is the easiest and where to start, thank you.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The question as a beginner is whether to start learning this programming language, or it is better to choose another. Which is the easiest and where to start, thank you.
Why Python?
What type of application do you want to develop?
Research which programing language would best meet your needs?

AntonioOzele

Local time
Today, 07:18
Just Phyton to everyone’s ears. It is impossible to learn multiple and Java

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:18
The question as a beginner is whether to start learning this programming language, or it is better to choose another. Which is the easiest and where to start, thank you

I watched this YouTube video from Stefan earlier today and I think he has some information that you might benefit from:-

I also note that in a another thread you took issue with @sonic8 's comment.

You appear to imply that he was bullying you. I strongly suggest you revisit that thread and read it again because I do not see any bullying intended or implied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom