Question on American politics (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:53
Matt Greatorex said:
Gorwing up, I knew them as 'Hundreds and Thousands'.

OH s**t, here was me thinking along the lines of that rhyme
"If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Please be sweet and wipe the seat"

:eek: :eek:

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
Yes you do. I was an avid viewer before I left the UK. I believe SJMcAbney used to have one of the characters as his avatar.

Gorwing up, I knew them as 'Hundreds and Thousands'.
Thanks Matt - its nice to have a "plant" over there who can interpret these weird saying and words;)

Family Guy was not on my viewing list, I remember Mile-O had a stunning young lady as his avatar at one point.:eek: some French tart if I remember rightly:D ;)

Col

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
Today, 01:53
Brianwarnock said:
OH s**t, here was me thinking along the lines of that rhyme
"If you sprinkle when you tinkle
Please be sweet and wipe the seat"

:eek: :eek:

Brian

Oh dear, am I so crass that it seemed perfectly in character for me to have a reference to sitting in someone else's urine in my signature line? :eek:

Idjit

Clamoring Preschooler
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Oh right - a joke from an American TV show. Thats ok, not sure we get "Family Guy" here:confused:

Col

Better? :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Idjit said:
Oh dear, am I so crass that it seemed perfectly in character for me to have a reference to sitting in someone else's urine in my signature line? :eek:

Nope, I reckon it was me, never having heard of sprinkles I guess I never gave it much thought but just remembered that rhyme from somewhere. It did seem to be an odd signature. Sorry no offence intended, will creep back under my stone:eek:

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Nope, I reckon it was me, never having heard of sprinkles I guess I never gave it much thought but just remembered that rhyme from somewhere. It did seem to be an odd signature. Sorry no offence intended, will creep back under my stone:eek:

Brian
I thought sprinkles was something to do with snow falling - don't really know why though:confused:

Col

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:53
that particular quote is in reference to little candy or suger pieces that bakeries in the US and I am sure other places "sprinkle" on top of cookies and cupcakes and sometimes even donuts.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Thanks Matt - its nice to have a "plant" over there who can interpret these weird saying and words;)

You're very welcome.

I do still slip up and use British terminology here, but the blank/quizzical looks are getting less frequent as their education is progressing nicely ;) .

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
You're very welcome.

I do still slip up and use British terminology here, but the blank/quizzical looks are getting less frequent as their education is progressing nicely ;) .
Good, good - we have to keep the colonials on the correct path or they could become corrupted by their neighbour.:rolleyes: :cool:

Sadly, its too late for the Aussies, they've totally lost it;)

Col

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 15:23
Mike375 said:
(In) Australia only part of the senate is up for election at each election. I wonder if this was designed to prevent dramatic changes in the senate.
You sure about that? I've never heard that before...
In that case, how did we end up with the Libs getting such a big majority at the last election? (well, that's a mystery whichever way you look at it :rolleyes: )

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 15:23
ColinEssex said:
Sadly, its too late for the Aussies, they've totally lost it;)
Hey! We still use a lot of Brit slang over here!
(and an increasing amount of Yankee slang, sadly... less colourful I think)
We've just added to it with our own... :D

* To the Americans: When we use the term "Yankee" we're referring to your whole country, not just one side of your civil war

M

Mike375

Adeptus

Half the senate is up for election at each Federal election.

The exception is when the Prime Minister calls for a double dissolution at election time. In that case the whole senate is up for election. That scenario favours minor parties since the quota to win a senate seat is halved and that one is rerason why double dissolutions rarely done.

Since normally only a half the senate is up for election (1/3rd in the US) then a significant shift in the vote as compared to previous elections is blunted because the change in voting will only impact on 1/2 of the senate ot 1/3rd in the US of A.

Mike

M

Mike375

Adeptus

PS. the majority the Lib/Nat have in the senate is very small. It would hgave been much bigger if a double dissolution was called and the the whole senate up for election.

Mike.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Am I the only one who is going to say this?

"Holy Crap! It's Mike375!! What rock did he crawl out from under?"

No offense Mike, just haven't seen you in the 'cooler since I first came in. Was it something I said?

Lisa

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Am I the only one who is going to say this?
I said it too, but you said it better. ;) :D

And I absolutely LOVE your new avatar/tag!

R

Rich

lmnop7854 said:
"Holy Crap!
Lisa
Please don't make posts that are highly inflammatory to the religious cults on this forum

Last edited:

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Rich said:
Please don't make posts that are highly inflammatory to the religious cults on this forum

Rich,

That's not inflammatory - I said it was holy.

Lisa

M

Mike375

Lisa

No offense taken. Actually, I don't think I can be offended:D

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom