quote a day when database is opened (1 Viewer)

Mike Hughes

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:11
Has anyone ever seen a database that displays a quote, joke or something like that when it is opened? If so how is it done and where to you get the quotes or jokes to make it work.

I know, this is a stupid idea. But what the heck!

M

mrabrams

At first I laughed when I saw the question. But then I said, WHY THE HECK NOT?

So I perused to the Help File in Access and guess what I found?

TipOfDay Property :D

Check it out !

Michael

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
I suppose it's possible.

A random record shown on a form at start up.

Don't know any good jokes though :D

Elana

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
Here is an A97 dbase that contains a table and a form. The form randomly picks a record from the table and displays it. The form opens at startup and closes after 5 seconds.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind.

E

Attachments

• randomlypickarecordexample.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Mike Hughes

Registered User.
Local time
Hey Elana, This works great in Access 2002. Only has four records in the table, but I can find more someware. Thanks...Good to see I'm not the only nut :D

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
Mike

Now all you need is to find some good jokes ;)

Mike Hughes

Registered User.
Local time
Hey, If anyone wants over 15,000 quotes in a table to go with this let me know. :D :cool: ;)

Peanuts

Registered User.
Local time
Hey, kool idea, I installed it in a form but when it closes down the whole form closes. How do I stop that from happening?

Thanks

Elana

Registered User.
Local time
Check out the OnTimer event of the form.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
You might want to poll your users, whom are presumably trying to do something productive, if they enjoy having to wade through a bunch a crap--every time they open the application-- in order to get to what they're really trying to do. If this feature is really important to you, at least provide an option to turn it off for those who find it distracting.

Last edited:

Peanuts

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Elana, raskew,

Thanks for your help and info !

I just took off the "close" in the DoCmd in the code. It works great now although the thought for the day stays on, which will be alright.

Our company has several lines of it "creed" and several leasing/marketing "tips" that they like to re-inforce through training and such.

I have taken off all controls, rulers, tab controls, borders, etc. so that it just looks like a printed line on the form out of the way from the working part of the form although it is highlighted in a different color. The only thing I couldn't stop is that you still can click in the text box and scroll through all the tips/thoughts. I guess that way one could choose what he/she wanted to think about that day.

Thanks again

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom