Yesterday, 19:35
Kobe Bryant: 1978-2020

Kobe.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:35
I was eating a late lunch with my wife and grandson when that came over the news as a "Breaking News" item in a sports show. That is a tragedy. Even greater (because it is a double whammy on his family) is that I believe one of his daughters was also on the chopper and was lost. R.I.P. Kobe and your daughter. May your family find their way through this tragedy.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
yes, it was his 13 year old daughter Richard. I was at a bar downtown having supper when I saw it covered. I asked the bartender what he was doing in a chopper anyway. Apparently he was just taking a joy ride? I think it's a hot debate about who was more talented in the basketball world => him or Lebron James.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't follow basketball since I am vertically challenged. However, I don't recall ever hearing anything that made me think of Kobe Bryant as other than a really good guy on and off the court.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 02:35
Also killed were a baseball coach, his wife and one of his daughters. Nearly a whole family?
A mum and her daughter were also killed.

They were some of the 'Seven others'

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
there's too many people that have passed on in this way:

=> princess Diana
=> sam Kinison
=> paul Walker
=> dale Earnhardt

probably many others too I would guess.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I confess to not know who he is, but any life lost especially childrens are a Tragedy..

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
SA, he was a really good professional basketball player for the Los Angeles team. And a family man who gave back to his community in various ways.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
SA, he was a really good professional basketball player for the Los Angeles team. And a family man who gave back to his community in various ways.
anyone know who Jack Nicholson is? It is well known in the hollywood community that he's notorious for demanding time off from movie shoots to attend Lakers games. It's always written into his contract.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I confess I've never heard of him, probably not many people in the UK have. Sad though even so.

Basketball is not big here, it's an American derivative of Netball, a game our schoolgirls play at school.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It was invented by a Canadian, James Naismith, so no to that (at least not really?).
Maybe the idea was on our schoolgirls game. The American version does seem boring. The players just run from one end to the other, reach up and put the ball in the net, then it's the other team's turn to do the same. I fail to see what the attraction is. At least in the strange American football the players attack each other even if they haven't got the ball, but even that is boring.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
AB, I'm with you on golf. It's the PERFECT sports event for a rainy Sunday afternoon on the couch. Turn on the TV and you get a lot of restful green with just a splash of color from some of the brighter outfits. (Like Tiger Woods and his red shirt on Sundays when he is still in contention.) The announcers always speak in hushed tones, about halfway between a whisper and normal speech. The crowds always give a polite little "golf clap" after decent shots but don't usually cheer for "ordinary" shots. And if someone makes a really spectacular shot, you wake up to the roar of the crowd, after which you get to see the same shot replayed from three or four different angles. Then put your head down and back to the serious business of napping. Golf is my go-to sport to watch for a Sunday afternoon nap.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:35
I have known some amateur golfers in my time (including my father-in-law). They speak of how difficult the game can be. So a person needs the skill (and sometimes luck) involving hitting a small ball with a stick in hopes in getting it to land in a hole in the ground (not one that a gopher made). Seems pretty challenging (I have only done putt-putt golf with varying results). I also believe it is the only major sport where the players can be rattled by loud noises when taking their turn (I think pool and billards also as for quiet when a player is making a shot). In other sports, the fans tend to make as much noise as possible to try to distract their opponents.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:35
They speak of how difficult the game can be.
As an army golfer (left-right-left-right) I can attest to that. When I couldn't afford to play thus had no interest I mocked the game and those who played it. When I made a new friend, he loaned me a set of clubs and enticed me to take up the game as a means of socializing with him. Eventually I bought my own set because his was custom made (shorter) and I am six inches taller than him, thinking that would help. I'm proof positive that equipment does not make a whole lot of difference and the only "luck" that's involved is getting most of the 8 or so things right from the moment you step up to the ball. It's easy to mock any sport when you've never tried it and when the pros make it look much easier than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom