read receipt reliability with outlook (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
does anyone use these? I would like to push them through when sending emails and I can set up all the configs for linking outlook to gmail using SMTP and IMAP/POP3. however, what I've found when using outlook over 10+ years is that it is totally unreliable in terms of getting notification of who opens your email message on the other end. does anyone know who's fault that is? outlook software is terrible? does it depends on the configs of the receiving email server? could the person reading the email have a feature in their client that blocks notifications being sent to me? thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
There is a Windows security setting that allows a person to choose whether a read receipt will be sent when requested. Given the choice, a person might well say "No, don't send." The decision is left to the mail's recipient since the return receipt actually represents a security issue by verifying (a) that the recipient was valid and (b) that the account was active since the receipt isn't EVER sent until someone reads it. There are some anti-viral packages that allow such a setting as well - to cancel or prevent an auto-reply on message read.

It should also be noted that if someone set up Outlook rules to selectively either delete classify the original sender by name as a junk source, again there would be no read receipt.

This isn't the fault of Outlook. It is that people or anti-viral packages don't like Read Receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom