Ready Player One (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:57
I belted out a few lyrics to "We're no gonna take it" in front of my daughter this weekend and she actually thought I made the song up...as if I had that kind of creativity.
While (not whilst) trying to show her the video on YouTube, I came across this montage from some movie I have never heard of but plan on watching soon!

I cant stop watching it....

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:57
We watched that a while ago. I thought it was great.
The plot is a bit predictable but was great fun, and very well done.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
We watched that a while ago. I thought it was great.
The plot is a bit predictable but was great fun, and very well done.
I think so too...the multiple movie spoofs (Night at the Roxbury, Back to the Future, Chucky to name a few) really made me smile! I just kept watching it over and over to see what else I missed and would get all excited when I found something. My daughter thinks I'm a nut but then that is nothing new!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Nice trip down memory lane. "Come out and play" was one of the first records I ever bought.
Good 'ole Offspring - an under appreciated band as far as I'm concerned. Green Day is another band from that era that I really enjoyed...

Edit: I am such a goober. You were talking about the TS album "We're not gonna take it" was on. I swear if breathing was not an autonomous function, I would suffocate.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:57
NG, it is an interesting movie. If you get the chance to watch it, it can be fun and the graphics are incredible. You get to see hero avatars from dozens or even hundreds of commercial games. From that video, you would think it is ALL CGI - but it is not.

The premise of Ready Player One is based on a dystopian future where people have become so disaffected with a dismal, overcrowded, poverty-stricken real world that they retreat to a virtual world to find social interactions. (Sound familiar...? Except that these folks make Facebook and the proposed Meta.COM meta-verse look tame.) The good-guys company that provides the virtual world service is being attacked (hostile corporate take-over) by a rival greedy, money-grubbing, soulless corporate entity and executive.

The main plot is that the founder of the virtual world host left behind clues that would lead to the ultimate "Easter Egg" - the deed and rights of ownership of the company. Of course, the evil and unscrupulous rival company stops at nothing to find this prize first. The scene you posted is late in the movie as the hero (drives the car, has blond hair with blue tint in places) has two of the three clues and knows that the distant castle that they are attacking holds the third clue. The bad guys get to the castle first but cannot solve the third clue. During the battle, the hero realizes that sometimes reality, even harsh reality, is preferable to a fake life in a fake world. He also finds love and friendship.

Might not be the best movie you've ever seen but it is far from the worst. On my star-o-meter, I give it 2 1/2 to 3 stars overall - but 3 1/2 to 4 stars for gamers who have game-gasms when watching VR heroes in action.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:57
Edit: I am such a goober. You were talking about the TS album "We're not gonna take it" was on.
😆:cool:
"We're not gonna take it" must have been on an earlier album, which I got as poor-quality tape recording.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I used to go see Twisted Sister in a bar before they were famous.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I used to go see Twisted Sister in a bar before they were famous.
I have heard Dee Snider really amped up the drag style when they were starting out. I'll bet they were really raw before MTV

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Never forget one night standing up by the stage and a guy near me was heckling them, calling them all sorts of names. Dee didn't break stride, jumped down off the stage, dragged the guy to the door, Popped him and pushed him out the door. Got back up on stage without missing a beat.

He later moved near me, not far from Billy Joel. He lived next door to a friend of mine whose last name was also Schneider. Their mail used to get mixed up all the time.

EliiotM

Local time
Today, 10:57
Wow, it looks so nice. Got to watch this movie once again, but the book is the best book I've ever read in my entire life

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
they retreat to a virtual world to find social interactions. (Sound familiar...? Except that these folks make Facebook and the proposed Meta.COM meta-verse look tame.)
It's not so bad really. Last Thanksgiving my brother in law and I both got new Oculus Quest2's. (my 3rd VR device.) We've played 36 + holes of golf every night since. Beats yapping on the phone. At least we're up moving around and not sitting on our A$$es. Occasionally we go into the public courses and play with people from all over the world. It's a little more fun when they speak english though.

The only downside is having a dog. Make sure they're not in the room. All they see is you standing there jumping around having fun and they want to join in. I went to hit a shot as hard as I could and punched the dog so hard I knocked her off her feet. She's fine but learned a lesson, as did I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom