Receive email from POP3 server with Access! (1 Viewer)

DanJames

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:27
Hi,

Is there a way for access to receive emails from a POP3 server (in this case ntlworld.com) and store emails in a table.

I have access 2003, and at the moment have Windows Live Mail - If I have to change to Microsoft Outlook I probably will.

Then I plan to have a query so only specific emails will be used in the database.

Thanks in Advance. Dan.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 02:27
Hi,

Is there a way for access to receive emails from a POP3 server (in this case ntlworld.com) and store emails in a table.

I have access 2003, and at the moment have Windows Live Mail - If I have to change to Microsoft Outlook I probably will.

Then I plan to have a query so only specific emails will be used in the database.

Thanks in Advance. Dan.

You're welcome ... Dan.

See:

Chilkat ActiveX Email Component

DanJames

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks a lot, but are there any free options of doing this just through vba or do I have to pay for other software? I would like to be able to have a macro or something to even take emails from ms outlook or windows live mail? This would be easier and cheaper for us.

Thanks in Advance, Dan.

DanJames

Registered User.
Local time
That says how to save an email attachment, however I would like to have the email content saved to a table in the database. I have knowledge of VBA for ms access on forms etc.. but nothing advanced. I know this must be annoying but is there anyone that can help specifically for this? Thank you.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Like I said, it would get you started. Instead of saving an attachment, use the .Body property to access the body of the email.

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:27
The best way to do it would be to setup an outlook account first, and then link a table with your inbox folder. That table will store all the email info (to, from, cc, body etc..) and will always be synchronized, there's no need to re-invent the wheel by coming up with your own email reader though lol

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:27
The best way to do it would be to setup an outlook account first, and then link a table with your inbox folder. That table will store all the email info (to, from, cc, body etc..) and will always be synchronized, there's no need to re-invent the wheel by coming up with your own email reader though lol
Very nice solution!

Just need to be aware that the linked table will be live so that any changes will be reflected in outlook.

Chris

Last edited:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:27
I have the following macro in Excel which is run from Access. Acess opens Excel runs the excel macro and then imports the Excel stuff. It is all seamless. I did this way because it was easier for me to get all the email details to Excel and then from Excel to Access table. i use it specifically for 'bounce back emails" and the resulting table in Access is matched to client/prospect details to find the people with wrong email addresses. Hence the reference to folder "Bounces" in the code.

Sub Macro1()
Dim myOlApp As Outlook.Application
Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set myNameSpace = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set myfolders = myNameSpace.Folders
n = 1
Do Until myfolders.Item(n) = "Personal Folders"
n = n + 1
Loop
Set myfolder = myfolders.Item(n)
Set myfolder2 = myfolder.Folders("Bounces")
c = 1
n = 1
For Each Item In myfolder2.Items
itsj = Item.Subject
itsn = Item.To
itbo = Item.SenderEmailAddress
itbz = Item.CreationTime
itbx = Item.Body
Cells(n, c) = itsn
Cells(n, c + 1) = itsj
Cells(n, c + 2) = itbo
Cells(n, c + 3) = itbz