Recommendations Needed - Comfortable Chair (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 08:09
Hello,

My office chair snapped on me during a gaming session where I was leaning heavily on one arm. I took a good tumble from that one. I'm looking for a comfortable chair, doesn't have to be an office chair, but one I can use for both business and pleasure. I used my current chair with both gaming and sitting for office work, so it's important that I can curl up on it for gaming and also sit comfortably upright for office work. Having one that easy to move would help. Lightweight would also be good as it has to go upstairs.

Anyone have any recommendations? With so many chairs out there, it's hard to choose.

Thanks!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The only specific recommendation I can give is from a safety standpoint - you are safer with 5 casters than you are with 4. A 4 caster chair that loses one is going to throw you out of it, whereas a 5 caster chair - not likely. Leather/vinyl is heavier than cloth (and more expensive usually) so that might be a consideration for you as well. When needing such things, I usually look at a lot of product reviews as a guidline.

Vassago

Local time
This one has 5 casters. The arm broke. The chair still toppled. The casters are still solid though. LOL

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:09
Why not just replace the arm?

Vassago

Local time
Because it's attached to the back of the chair and pretty solidly so. The chair is old. I am in need of an upgrade.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Because it's attached to the back of the chair and pretty solidly so. The chair is old. I am in need of an upgrade.
OK, but I've put a few of these chairs together in my time, and presumably they have to be assembled, even if in the factory.?
Whether or not the arm would be available, would depend on how old it is. I look after all my stuff, and the drawback is sometimes you cannot get the parts anymore.
If you want a new chair, that is different story. :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The Spanish Inquisition (aka The Comfy Chair) - Monty Python's Flying Circus - S02E02

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:09
I'm partial to Steelcase chairs like the Leap or Amia. However, they are pricey. I plan to get one because I have had back issues, so a good chair makes a big difference for me.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I think 'pricey' is a slight understatement? :D

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Haha, guess I should have said expensive. For me it's worth it. I've thrown out my back twice in the past few years. Last year, I had to take almost 2 months off from work and several weeks of physical therapy.

Considering the amount of spend more time in my office chair, it makes it worth it for me. And now that I've been working from home from since March and likely for the next few months at least. I did bring my chair from my office and it works for me for now. It's not a Steelcase, but it's still a few hundred dollars.

Though, the next big purchase I have in mind will be to upgrade my bed.

Hope you can find a chair that works for you. Would be curious to see what end up with. If I could find a cheaper chair that works for me, that would be good.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:09
The chair I have was provided by my employer, It is steel and mesh. Pretty comfortable, I believe the list price was about $350 (US). The most comfortable chair that I ever had (for work) was an executive chair (high back, leather or fake leather, lots of cushioning). I have no idea how much it cost (and that was over 30 years ago).

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I think you need one of these - Nice Chair . Com

They are a tad pricy, but built down the road. And apparently really comfy.
:sneaky:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
This thread has inspired me to rise above my usual method of buying a $35 chair from an office liquidation warehouse. I must say they do usually tend to involve some suffering thereafter, but I keep thinking the next one will be better.

I might go up to $100 next time. :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Any task chair would work but......have you looked at gaming chairs? They can handle both chores.

1596729857283.png

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I think mine wins - its available in 3 different widths depending on your waistline.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Nice euphemism, Minty... "depending on your waistline" - when we ALL know what ACTUALLY gets on that seat.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I would set the price point above a $100 dollars, after all it's your back. 💺

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom