Recommended Reading List (1 Viewer)

livingNcolorado

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:15
I noticed you only have links for Access 97, 2000 and 2002.
New to Access, I jumped in and purchased Access 2003 full version and Microsoft Access 2003 Inside/Out .

On the good side, the book comes with a CD that holds the following
*ebook-The electronic version of Access 2003 Inside/Out. I was able to copy and paste the entire CD to my desktop and leave the book behind!
*Computer Dictionary-The fifth edition of Microsoft Computer Dictionary. You need IE 5.01 or later to view this dictionary
*Insider Extras-Install sample files used by the author in Access 2003 Inside/Out
*Articles-Find additional material complementing topics in the printed book.Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader are needed to view the Articles
*Microsoft Resources-Explore specialized features of Microsoft Office Access 2003 and learn about other business software from Microsoft.
*Extended Access-Explore ad-ins offered by third party venders which extend and enhance the already powerful features of Microsoft Access 2003
*Microsoft Press Support-Visit the Microsoft Press Support site where you can query the Knowledge Base for comments and correct information for your book or this CD. They also give the following link to visit.
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/support
*Register Online-
*Readme-Opens a readme.txt file for Microsoft Office Access 2003 Inside Out companion CD
*Adobe Reader-Connect to the Adobe website to download Adobe Reader.
*Exit-

I also noticed that when I installed Access 2003, it made upgradeds to a couple other Microsoft programs and when I opened Excel, I had error messages that I had never had before. A few questions from a pop-up and it went away.

On the down side, I found the book to be very hard to understand unless you have prior experience with Access. It seemed the book started with how Access come to be, and was almost like a computer in the fact that once you read something here, you see it again over there. Like having 3 ways to do something on a computer!

Once I sat down and started to explore the book, CD, and tutorials I found myself looking up things in design mode that were not in the dictionary either. I tried looking up "Input Mask" to get an idea of what it means/does and when you use the dictionary, the "search" on Input only gives you the First letter "I". When you click "I", it opens the "I" part of the dictionary that gives you all the terms that start in I, and highlights the word "Index" as you scroll down. I didn't find the dictionary to be of any help, and that is part of why I came and asked questions here on this forum.

I think Microsoft Access is a great program, but wanted others to know what a person like myself that wanted the power of a database and the lacking skills of Access was up against. I think I need to purchase a book that HAS all the definitions explained and I might be in a whole lot better shape!

Thoughts?

:confused:

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
Access

Microsoft Access 2002 Bible

pa3329

Registered User.
Local time
Any suggestions on books?

Well this is my first post and I thought I would open this thread back up with a request. I am a computer professional (used to be a DAA, designated approving authority, but recently changed jobs) and I am going to be developing, updating, and troubleshooting databases. I am using Access 2003 but I have not used Access for at least 5 years; anything I learned back in those days I have now forgotten. I was looking for a book that I can use as a reference book but that will also teach me or guide me through the following: Input forms (using one table and multiple tables), Reports (using forms to select the criteria), programming, and anything else you think I may find useful. I have heard mixed reviews about "The bible" and "Access for Dummies". Are there any books that people out there use and highly recommend? I understand normalization and most, if not all, of the other beginner topics and some intermediate topics.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:15
Microsoft Press Access 2003 Inside Track and Inside Out are both advanced books. To be honest, some of the content was over my head as a novice when I read them and now I have had some exposure to Access it would pay me dividends to go through them again.

Neither of these books are out an out reference books as such but the databases they develop are pretty sophisticated.

All the other books I saw were of the step by step variety which created a functioning database but fairly simple with no subtleties. Once you had completed the exercises you couldn't really go anywhere with it.

pa3329

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the welcome. What do you people think about this book: Alison Balter's Mastering Microsoft Office Access 2003 It seems to be a good book, according to the reviews, and it seems to be what I am looking for. Has anybody used this book Access 2003 Power Programming with VBA or this book Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference (Programmer to Programmer)? I need to submit a purchase order for my books by the end of the week (Tuesday at the latest) so I was hoping to get started today or tomorrow. If anybody has any comments on the books I posted or any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:15
Another book that I have been using is Programming Microsoft Access by Rick Dobson. Though this book gets over your head very quickly (at least for me) it is much closer to what I want to see in a programming book. How to actually do something at the programming level. Too many of the books I see are simply reviews of how to use wizards or other automated features, which is not what I need a book for.

pa3329

Registered User.
Local time
I'm glad somebody said something about this book; I had it on my list of books to look at. From what I saw on Amazon it did look like the best VBA programming book out there.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:15
Check out www.course.com and look for the New Perspectives series on Access. I can only say that I love them as they take you from nothing to knowing the system very well. From there you grow.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:15
I think I've probably got more practical help form O'Reilly Access Cook Book.

Wonderful practical solutions.

ions

Access User
Local time
I use Access 2000 Power Programming by Scott F Barker. It's very advanced level VBA in Access

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Today, 10:15
Resources...

I use:
  • MS Access 2000 BIBLE; Prague & Irwin with Reardon
  • Beginning Access 2000 VBA; Sussman & Smith and
  • MS Access 2000 VBA Fundamentals; Callahan by MS Press

There are also great tips, tricks, and endless KB and resources on Microsoft's website; Access 2003!

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;2509

Welcome to all new users and HAVE FUN!:)

Mike Smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

I couldn't find a suitable book to use as courseware for my "Smart Method" Access VBA courses so I wrote and published my own. Modesty does not allow me to recommend it (as I am, of course biased) but thousands have downloaded a free beginners course from my site which consists of the four chapters of my book that teach Access VBA fundamentals.

My book isn't for Access Gurus but to get complete beginners started with the concepts of object orientation and good coding practices. It is also the only book I know that has a student and teacher edition so is suitable for teaching your own VBA classes (if that is what you do).

Mike Smart

Registered User.
Local time
Mike,

Do you mind if I put a link to your site on my big Access Resources page here:

http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie/resources.html

--
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
http://home.bendbroadband.com/conradsystems/accessjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

Jeff. I'd be delighted and honoured. My hope is that I'll get thousands of beginner programmers started with the free mini-course there and that they'll adopt at least some of my design guidelines thus preventing much swearing and gnashing of teeth in their future careers!

Mike Smart

Registered User.
Local time
Mike,

Sounds great. Do you have a preference on which section of my Resources page you want to be in? Tutorials, books, ???

--
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
http://home.bendbroadband.com/conrad...essjunkie.html
Access 2007 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

Tutorials is probably best. I've been very encouraged by the number of people that have downloaded the free course this week - and no negative feedback (yet)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom