Record / Table locking issues (1 Viewer)

access7

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:38
Good morning all

Please help - having a nightmare!

I have finally rolled out the database I have been working on and already have fallen at the first hurdle!

- I have multiple users needing to use the database at the same time.
- They are using a run-time version of access 2010.
- The database has been split

When they are trying to edit records it is giving them this message:

'Execution of this application has stopped due to a run-time error.
The application cant continue and will be shut down'.

On clicking OK it then throws them out of the system. BUT is DOES seem to save what they have done!????

- It is allowing them to go in and view (either the same record or different records) at the same time.
- It is even letting them both start editing records at the same time (even the same record!!?? - thats another issue).

BUT when they come to save the record it is giving the aboce message.

The fields that are being edited are bound fields to the main table.

I am not sure whether I am having issues with table locking??

Any advice would be much appreciated.... :confused:

Privateer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:38
How are the users accessing the records, via a form? Is the record locking on the form set to edited record? or is it on All, which could be the problem.
Clicking on OK, what is that, a command button you built or are they editing the tables directly?
The way I understand it, the first person to arrive on that record, locks it. Simply moving off the text box or hitting enter will "save" the changes. Unless two people hit enter at the same millisecond, Access will accept the first change, then the second, so it will look like the editing is taking place. Check the form properties, I think that is the issue.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 11:38
Does each one of them have their own copy of the database frontend or are they running off of the same file from a central location. If the central location, you really do need to give them each their own copy. If pushing updates to the frontend is a concern I have a free tool to help with that on my website. But it really is important to not be running multiple users from the same Access file.

maximark

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:38
I was running multiple users from the one Access file on the server.
Now I have split fe and be and still have the same issue.

two users can select the same record from a list screen and open the details screen.
the first user to click Save on the details screen will get their changes saved and
the second user will get the error message

how can I lock the record immediately when the first person clicks on it from the list screen??

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 20:38
@maximark

Please do not multipost the same issue, and do not hijack other people's threads, especially when the issue is not at all related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom