Recordset is not Updatable - Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:01
Hi there!

I've got an odd issue here:

I have a continuous form that displays 1000s of records, each record has multiple check boxes, text boxes, combo, etc.

When I open the form using Access 2010 - it is defaulting to a 'read only' state and I cannot edit any of the records.

A weird fix - I have a sort button in the form header, when I apply this sort, then clear the sort, all of a sudden the form is no longer in 'read only' mode and I can edit, add, update, etc.

Also, this DB has many other continuous forms, they all seem to work fine in Access 2010 as well.

This same form works properly in Access 2007 every time.

If anyone has any thoughts why Access 2010 is doing this that would be great!

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 08:01
I've read your post a couple of times, but it is still not clear for me what your problem is!
Is it that the form open read only, then open the form in design view and check that the "Allow Edits" property is set to "Yes" in "Data" tab.
Else try to explain your problem in another way.

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Hi JHB,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to clarify the best I can.

Normally, when the form is opened, the user can add new records, edit records, delete, etc. The "Allow Edits" property has always been set to "Yes".

Now, in Access 2010, when the form is first opened, no new records can be added, nor can any existing records be edited. This is not a permissions issue or a property setting in the form.

Opening this form from a different computer using Access 2007 works normally all the time (add, edit, update, etc.) no matter which user is logged on.

In Access 2010, when I open the form and cannot edit or add anything, I run a sort command (by inputting text and clicking a button using VBA), as soon as I click the other button which clears the sort filter, the form magically reverts back to being editable, and new records can be added. I'm not sure if this is an odd bug or if it's something to do with Access 2010.

Does this help clear up the issue at all?

Thanks for your patience!

Dan

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 08:01
Could you post your database with some sample data + name of the problem form?

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately due to security reasons I cannot upload anything from this DB.

Although, I have found a temporary solution to the issue:

When the form is opened, the records cannot be edited or updated, etc. But when I run a filter, then clear the filter with VBA, the form goes back to being editable and updatable again.

So I have added the following code to the Form_Open Event:

Code:
'This is a work around for Access 2010 when the form opens in read only format'
DoCmd.ApplyFilter , "[Receive Date]Is Not Null AND [Return Date] Is Null"
Me.FilterOn = False

This allows the user to open the form and edit/add/update records without issue. I am still very confused as to why it is happening only on Access 2010, but this seems to work for now.

Thanks for you help!
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom