Recordset with selected records (1 Viewer)

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:53
I have a table with a column named VendType and it has 3 values ("FS", "EXP, "DSD"). I want to export the records into 3 separate spreadsheets by VendType. I also only want to export the rows that I select from a grid on the form I am on. The form could be filtered and possibly have rows selected that are not contiguous. This is how I am currently doing it, but I need to modify it to only export selected records :

Code:
Set FrmDetail = Me.Parent.SubForm.Form

For i = 1 To 3

Select Case i

Case 1

vType = "FS"

Case 2

vType = "EXP"

Case 3

vType = "DSD"

Case Else

End Select

FrmDetail.Filter = "VendType = '" & vType & "'"

FrmDetail.FilterOn = True

Set xRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Set xRS = FrmDetail.RecordsetClone

set filRS = CurrentDB.OpenRecordset("Select

If xRS Is Nothing Then

MsgBox "There are no claims to upload.", vbExclamation, "Claims Upload"

GoTo cmdUploadExit

End If

DoCmd.Hourglass True

sUploadDate = Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")

'Create Spreadsheet for RiteAid

If Not CreateExcelFile(sUploadDate, vType) Then

bUploadSuccess = False

MsgBox "Upload Excel file creation failed!" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Text file NOT created and ClaimsPlus NOT updated!", vbCritical, "Claims Upload"

GoTo cmdUploadExit

End If

Private Function CreateExcelFile(sUpdateDate As String, vType As String) As Boolean

On Error GoTo ErrorHappened

Dim xRS

Dim loExcel As Object, loBook As Object, loWorkSheet As Object

Dim iRow As Integer

Dim sTemplateFile As String

Dim sSpreadsheetFile As String

Dim sUpdateDate2 As String

Dim lsLineEntity As String

SysCmd acSysCmdSetStatus, "Claims upload creating spreadsheet file..."

DoCmd.Hourglass (True)

CreateExcelFile = False

Set xRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Set xRS = FrmDetail.RecordsetClone

If xRS Is Nothing Then

MsgBox "There are no claims to upload.", vbExclamation, "Claims Upload"

GoTo CreateExcelFileExit

End If

sUpdateDate2 = "_" & sUpdateDate

'Get the template spreadsheet to work with

sTemplateFile = "\\ccaintranet.com\dfs-fld-01\Audits\Riteaid\Decipher\ReportTemplates\RiteAidClaimsUploadTemplate.xlsx"

'Build excel spreadsheet

sSpreadsheetFile = "\\ccaintranet.com\DFS-FLD-01\Users\" & Identity.UserName & "\RiteAidClaimsUpload_" & vType & sUpdateDate2 & ".xlsx"

'Copy the template to the destination path/filename

FileCopy sTemplateFile, sSpreadsheetFile

'Create the Excel object

Set loExcel = CreateObject("Excel.application")

With loExcel

'Open the Excel file

.Application.Workbooks.Open sSpreadsheetFile

Set loBook = loExcel.Workbooks(1)

Set loWorkSheet = loBook.Worksheets(1)

loWorkSheet.Activate

iRow = 2

xRS.MoveFirst

While Not xRS.EOF

SysCmd acSysCmdSetStatus, "Claims upload creating spreadsheet file...Claim: " & Nz(xRS.FullClaimNum, "")

loWorkSheet.Range("A" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.FullClaimNum, "")

loWorkSheet.Range("B" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Format(xRS.ClaimDate, "mm/dd/yyyy")

loWorkSheet.Range("C" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.VenNum, "")

loWorkSheet.Range("D" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.VenName, "")

loWorkSheet.Range("E" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.NetAmt, 0)

loWorkSheet.Range("F" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.ClaimCodeClient, "")

loWorkSheet.Range("G" & CStr(iRow)).Value = Nz(xRS.ClaimCodeClientText, "")

xRS.MoveNext

iRow = iRow + 1

Wend

loWorkSheet.Columns("A:G").EntireColumn.AutoFit

'show the excel object

loExcel.Application.visible = True

End With

' Save the workbook

loExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save

' Close the workbook without saving

loBook.Close False

CreateExcelFile = True

CreateExcelFileExit:

On Error Resume Next

xRS.Close

Set xRS = Nothing

Set loExcel = Nothing

Set loBook = Nothing

Set loWorkSheet = Nothing

Exit Function

ErrorHappened:

MsgBox "Error creating upload spreadsheet file!" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & sSpreadsheetFile & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & err.Description, vbCritical, "cmdUpload_Click - CreateExcelFile Error"

CreateExcelFile = False

Resume CreateExcelFileExit

End Function

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:53
Could you edit that to include the code in Code Tags and indent it?
Press the </> button in the editor.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:53
Hi. What exactly do you mean by "selected" records? How are the records being selected?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have a form that has a grid and in that grid, rows are being selected.
Can you please post a screenshot of that form with some records selected? Are records selected with gaps or always together?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
You are currently doing this in a pretty convoluted way. You loop the VTYPEs then use that to filter the form then pull then set the recordset to the filtered forms recordset.

I assume you have a Selected field in the form to allow you to select a record.

I would skip the filtering and just build each RS in code.
Code:
Dim xrs as dao.recordset
set xrs = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'FS' and SelectedField = True")
Process these records pass xRS to module to create sheet
Set xRS = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'EXP' and SelectedField = True")
process these records
Set xRS = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'DSD' and SelectedField = True")
FYI forms return DAO recordsets so that code for creating an ADO RS does nothing.

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
You can see the column is selected on a filtered set of records:

Selected Records.png

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
You are currently doing this in a pretty convoluted way. You loop the VTYPEs then use that to filter the form then pull then set the recordset to the filtered forms recordset.

I assume you have a Selected field in the form to allow you to select a record.

I would skip the filtering and just build each RS in code.
Code:
Dim xrs as dao.recordset
set xrs = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'FS' and SelectedField = True")
Process these records pass xRS to module to create sheet
Set xRS = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'EXP' and SelectedField = True")
process these records
Set xRS = currentDb.openRecordset ("Select * from somequery where Vendtype = 'DSD' and SelectedField = True")
FYI forms return DAO recordsets so that code for creating an ADO RS does nothing.
I agree with you on the approach, but the "SelectedField" is basically just the user highlighting the rows or the column which then hightlights the rows (in this case only the filtered records on the form). So there's no way for me to identify them and add it to the query.

MajP

Local time
The form could be filtered and possibly have rows selected that are not contiguous
That is not possible unless you change the form into a multiselect listbox or you need to add a field to the form. Selecting the column does nothing.

You might be able to select a group. I have seen it done but it is pretty clunky and relies on selection height.
Code:
 RS.MoveFirst

' Move to the first selected record.
     RS.Move F.SelTop - 1

' Enumerate the list of selected records presenting
     ' the CompanyName field in a message box.
     For i = 1 To F.SelHeight
        RS.Edit
            If Nz(RS!Active, False) = False Then
                RS!Active = True
            Else
                RS!Active = False
            End If
        RS.Update
        RS.MoveNext
     Next i

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You can see the column is selected on a filtered set of records:

View attachment 95658
Hi. Thanks, but I can't tell from your screenshot which records are selected. I was expecting something more like this:

1635359391893.png

Also, you didn't answer my other question. Does this mean the user will only ever select contiguous records (no gaps)?

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Thanks, but I can't tell from your screenshot which records are selected. I was expecting something more like this:

View attachment 95659

Also, you didn't answer my other question. Does this mean the user will only ever select contiguous records (no gaps)?
The user may select the records how you are showing it as well. If he wants to select all, he may select the column, but I can require them to select it the way you are doing it, if it helps. I expect it will be contiguous 95% of the time, but there may be an occasion where it won't be.

MajP

Local time
can you post a screen shot of how you are planning to do an non contiguous selection? Never seen it done.

MajP

Local time
If he wants to select all, he may select the column
Selecting a column is the same as not selecting the column. All records are selected. What is the purpose of selecting a column?

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Selecting a column is the same as not selecting the column. All records are selected. What is the purpose of selecting a column?
My guess is, the user thinks he's selecting all rows by selecting the column, instead of going down and selecting the record selector where it selects the entire row. But I see your point...that does not select the actual record. I just need to educate the user on the correct way.

LarryE

Local time
The only way I have ever heard of that allows the selection of various different records is to add a field to your table with a Data Type of Yes/No. You could call it "Select" if you like. Then add a checkbox control to your form and bind it to the Select Field. That way the user can select various records at will using the checkbox. A query can then be created that contains only those selected records and then exported from that query to EXCEL. Otherwise, ACCESS doesn't know which records you want exported. You might be better off not exporting anything to EXCEL and just using ACCESS to do your analysis and reporting. It's pretty powerful in its own right.

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, so let's say I just wanted to export all the records that are filtered on the form? not the selected rows....

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok, so let's say I just wanted to export all the records that are filtered on the form? not the selected rows....
One way to do that is to assign the RecordsetClone of the form to a Recordset object and then use the CopyFromRecordset method using Excel Automation.

LarryE

Local time
Then the queries criteria is all the forms records. You could also include a checkbox control on the form that is NOT bound, but when checked True, it runs an UPDATE query that sets all the forms Select fields to True. When you Requery the form, all the checkboxes on the form would be set to True (-1). Then the export records query would include them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom