Reestablishing Record Source (1 Viewer)

MatthewB

Local time
Today, 01:41
I have made a lot of fundamental mistakes putting my first db together. I am trying to correct these and my thought is to delete my queries and rebuild the relationships. Is there a flaw in this idea.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Wow, this is a very broad question and a bit difficult to think of how to give the most helpful/responsible answer.
+1 to UG's suggestion.
Also, it might be a good idea to confirm that you have already documented all of the business and process rules before removing those queries.
Even though this shouldn't be, it is all too common for the only place the business rule is documented is by looking at the design/SQL of a query!
Thus, don't remove your queries unless you've documented the process/rules/requirements somewhere, as you won't have a query to look at and remember - "Oh yes - in this case I want to return Nulls because the Accounting department wishes to know if there is an invoice without a payment", etc. etc.

Don't burn down the house unless you saved the blueprints, as problematic as those blueprints might be.
Even with backups, it's a good chance to create logical documentation to support starting from scratch again.

I commend you for recognizing the value of getting the foundation right. Painful but necessary

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:41
On the ribbon there is a database tools option that would let you print out what you have. It can be made to list formal relationships. I would use that before wiping the slate clean.

MatthewB

Local time
Thanks. Of course what ever I do will be on a copy. I am frustrated but not stupid. Well, not completely stupid.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:41
delete my queries and rebuild the relationships
Scary question since relationships have nothing to do with queries.

Always work with a backup. Keep in mind that you should be defining relationships BEFORE you enter data. If you create them after you have data in the tables, you will need to correct the data before you can enforce the relationships.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:41
Scary question since relationships have nothing to do with queries.
Pat, 'scuse me, but when you have relationships, don't the query wizards look at your extant relationships to correctly arrange for JOINs and such?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:41
The wizards all make assumptions based on relationships but you can make the joins whatever you want. The only requirement is like data types. So you can join telephone number to SSN or salary to quantity. The query engine doesn't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom