Referencing a field within another field (1 Viewer)

C

compufxr

I am new at creating databases in Access. I am not a programmer nor do I want to become one.

I have a database that is going to keep track of info for my condo. association. Certain units are rented out. For these units the address is always going to be the same as the unit number. All of the table are related by that unit number. Is there any way in and adress field to have the unit number automatically show up so that you do not have to enter the unit number as a default?

I would love to be able to have the deafult for the Address field show up as "Unit Number" Main Street (i.e. if the unit number is 123 then the Address would read "123 Main Street".

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Yesterday, 23:58
Since you don't want to spend too much time thinking of this, it may just be easy to make the default street address to read "Main Street" (Although if it is always the same street name, I can't really imagine why you should want to store it on each record.... but I digress)

I'm just saying that if you ever need to print these addresses, you only have to choose [unit number] & " " & [Street name] Why store the unit number once again in the street address?

Hope that helps.

Tess

C

compufxr

You make a good point. But then if I want to print lets say mailing labels - can I just use the unit number field + Main Street with the City State and Zip all the same for each Name?

If I don't have to worry about the address and storing it twice I wouldn't be adverse to getting rid of it entirely.

Any thoughts?

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Yes, for the mailing labels, you would simply base the mailing label "report" off of the table (or query containing the appropriate data) and select possibly the Name field, position that... select Unti number field... position that, and then add a "label field" and make that caption reflect the Street Name. Add another label field and enter the caption to reflect the city, state and zip code ... et viola!

C

compufxr

If only all of life was this easy! Thank you for the help!

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Ah, yes... no problem at all. I should think that you will be requiring more help as you progress in your application. Don't hesitate to ask. The people here are quite friendly and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom