Remote/shared Tables (1 Viewer)

JonatABS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:44
Is it possible to share a table.

For example, I have a database that a few people need to have opened and fill in information. Is it possible 1. to have a table sitting seperate from the program. 2. Will this allow me to update the program on my system then overwrite the file on the network but not loose the data in that table.

Jon

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Today, 23:44
I'm just guessing but am I right in thinking you have just the one database being shared by your users and that contains your tables and your forms, queries, reports etc?

If so why not split the database.

This will create a back end containing the tables (resides on the server) and front end containing the queries, forms, reports and modules. The front end resides on your users computers and is linked to the back end.

Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree :p

JonatABS

Registered User.
Local time
You hit the nail on the head my man

You got it correct. Thats exactly what I want. I then would just have them download thenew file whenever I make a major change.

How can I seperate this into two databases without rewriting the WHOLE program over again as its been a pain getting where I am.

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
You need to use the Database Splitter. In A2k its under Tools---->Database Utilities. The wizard will take you through the process

Tip Once you have split your database you could use the Linked Table Manager to re-link to the back end using UNC naming technique. Where it ask for the file location you would enter:

\\ServerName\ShareFolder\Filename.mdb

This would mean that each of your user's computers would not have to be mapped to specific network drive.

HTH
Rob

JonatABS

Registered User.
Local time
AWSOME

Awsome man, thanks.

Now what your saying is I can update the database but not have the tables effected. If I add soemthing to the table it will add it and the same for the other users.

so no matter how many times I update the program we are all using the same data?

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Hi there

What you will have now is a BE containing the tables and a FE containing your queries, forms, reports, macros, modules and pages.

The FE you will copy to each of your users machines and you will have a master copy. Every time you make changes to your master copy i.e. new forms or report etc just copy this master copy to your users machines again. Also if you are using UNC as I said, then you should not have to update the links to the BE.

Likewise with your data, you are now all sharing the same data. So if you or someone else adds some data, you will all be able to see it. It's only when you need to make changes to the design of your tables that you will need everyone off the system.

HTH
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom