Removing a section of a string (1 Viewer)

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
Today, 06:25
Good Afternoon to people east of the USA Central Time Zone!

I have a workday headcount extract, and I mention Workday because their extracts suck! The extract comes out in only two choices, pdf or .xls

So I am copying and pasting the output into an access database to design the tables prior to porting them over to SQL Server 2012.

Workday merges different job classfications together, and I want to disambiguate them. So i have column 1 with two job classifications, each between 20 and 30 characters long, concatentated together. I have one of the job classes in column two
Goal: I would like to write an update query (maybe vba is required) to remove the string from column 2 whereever it exists in column 1 and put the remaining string result in column 3. the string to be removed may be anywhere in the first column, left right or in the middle.

I can't think of a good way to search for this, and I am busy with other quarter end reporting requirements. . . .

Thanks for any links or hints or conceptual structure anyone can provide.

BTW< ms access is a great starting point to then jump to SQL SERVER dba because of the similarities. . . but T-SQL is much better than MS SQL. . .

sportsguy
finance expert, SQL SERVER hack. . .

sportsguy

Finance wiz, Access hack
Local time
Today, 06:25
Thanks,

perfect!

I will submitt the VBA after i write it later!

sportsguy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom