Replacement for Access (1 Viewer)

Jbooker

Local time
Yesterday, 20:48
I see powerapps was recommended. It's Microsoft's most recent answer to the corporate perception that Access proliferation is problematic. I tend to disagree that it's problematic when all things are considered - Primarily the fact that the cost benefit to rapid development outweighs the perceived risk in many cases. Powerapps has a bunch of momentum but it's not full Access parity.

We move Access Apps all the time when it makes sense and not when it doesn't. A good first start is to move the backend to SQL Server and keep the front end in Access. SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access makes the data migration a cinch. Some changes will be needed to the Frontend after a bunch of testing to fix the minor differences after which point the migration is transparent to users.

Then consider replacing parts of the front end in a modular fashion - one user story at a time. Maybe this bit can be replaced by PowerApps and these other bits by a more robust WebApp.

Take a look at Radzen for rapid development of webapps over data (generates C# Server and either Angular or C# Blazor App)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:48
I agree Jbooker, in that, Access is still a very useful and powerful tool all things considered.

I'll describe my particular situation (current employer), just to put out there how varied and odd people's different scenarios are--and our particular reason for wanting to try PowerApps (not that we really have, yet, but are working toward doing so--So far I have mostly just used Power Automate).

- we have a userbase that covers more than one network. thus, the typical scenario where an Access BE is shared from a single network doesn't work for us.

- my dept has not been given access to sql server, so using a major RDBMS for a BE doesn't work for us either

- sharepoint as a BE is what we are doing now, but stinks rotten eggs

- almost everyone in our user base is on WIFI + VPN, and will be for the foreseeable future - perhaps forever, and there is no getting around it

Thus, PowerApps overlaid on Sharepoint (wherein, these 2 things actually DO seem to be made to work together, unlike Access & Sharepoint), might work well. The lack of ability to write free flowing code in PowerApps is obviously its major drawback. But it has many advantages too. Eventually our Power Apps environment might be enhanced to use both SQL and/or Dataverse/CDS, which is what I am hoping for..

Thanks for the Radzen mention, I hadn't heard of it and will check it out.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
Some of my peers are moving to MySql, but they find it slower to work with.

why would mysql be slow to work with than access!? wow...mysql has unlimited number of records that is allowed but it belongs on server back ends, so not sure why it would be slower. php is good language.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
The argument has to be that if they are going to keep Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook - which are all part of Office, then to get rid of Access which integrates with Office better than any 3rd party product is to cut off your nose to spite your face.
what if they using .net technology? .net tech integrates with office just as much as access can. sso i have been told and did find out myself for quite a long time.

Jbooker

Local time
Access over SharePoint data is much improved in recent versions - Office365 (Access 2016+) and SharePoint Online. You have to want SharePoint features for this to make sense in my opinion.

The best solution to using Access as a client-server is don't. Instead run on an RDP server with BE on local drives and all remote access / network corruption problems will be solved. I've found doing anything else contributes to the IT perception that Access is problematic. Folks think they can pass around Access files and shortcuts like they're excel docs. RDP puts my apps in my control, no worries about poor connections, Access versions on workstations, separate networks, deployment of FE changes, etc etc.

All IT needs to do is keep the RDP server up and accessible over internet and I'll take care of the apps.

Cannot tell you how easy covid was (with respect to WFH transition at least) for my clients because all have RDP servers. Not to mention how easy remote support is with my toes in the sand while on vacation . ;)

PowerApps is improving but you'll find canvas apps have weaknesses as well. I'm more a fan of the 'model-driven' flavor which together with Dataverse are basically the robust Dynamics XRM platform revamped.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
RDP is great if your company gives it to you ;) Stop making me jealous.

I've also drooled a bit reading about model apps, and their accompanying promised fidelity to server-side (table) constraints, relationships, etc. It sounds like a disciplined, well-oiled machine. Which I'm sure can mostly be imitated by a canvas app, if it's built by someone who has the exact same understanding of, appreciation and respect for those tables and relationships that they created....and then totally enforces that via FE design. But you're right, many will not, because nothing is forcing them to other than hindsight, failure and humiliation...all of which may come too late.

I'm waiting at the edge of my seat to see if my company will enhance its Power Apps environment with Dataverse/CDS and/or SQL backends, which they say they "might", but are still working it out. So far we've basically got the default data connectors, Sharepoint etc.

Jbooker

Local time
I'm waiting at the edge of my seat to see if my company will enhance its Power Apps environment with Dataverse/CDS and/or SQL backends, which they say they "might", but are still working it out. So far we've basically got the default data connectors, Sharepoint etc.
You can stop waiting and proceed to learn and build with your own individual environment like so:

Visual Studio Dev Essentials

which has everything you'd need including

PowerApps Community Plan

...still check out Radzen as PA is great but not limitless. ugh links don't work on this site.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
You can stop waiting and proceed to learn and build with your own individual environment like so:

Visual Studio Dev Essentials

which has everything you'd need including

PowerApps Community Plan

...still check out Radzen as PA is great but not limitless. ugh links don't work on this site.
Right now the chances are still significant that this will never materialize, so for the moment it behooves me most to just learn how to use what they have set up - PA and Sharepoint. Plus, Flow is keeping me busy - and quite satisfied, so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom