Resize the comments in Excel with Access (1 Viewer)

FLabrecque

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:13
Hi everyone!

I'm using Access to generate an Excel file. I'm exporting my query in Excel format. Then I open it in Access and do a bunch of cosmetic changes (such as making lines, bold titles, etc).

I'm also creating comments inside the Excel file based on information stored in a table. The comments appears fine (although they are always in bold character, but I can live with that). My problem comes with the default size of the comment block. They are too small. I need to make them bigger with code from Access.

The code I'm using to create the comment in Excel is this:
Code:
xlsSheet.Range(xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1), xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1)).AddComment.Text strCOMMENT

I can't find anything in Access or this forum to help me. I've tried to create a macro in Excel to see how it works. Here it is:

Code:
    Range("A5").Comment.Text Text:="labref01:" & Chr(10) & "This is my comment!" & Chr(10) & ""
    Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleWidth 1.82, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft
    Selection.ShapeRange.ScaleHeight 1.58, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft

For some obscure reason, when I try to execute the macro again, it stops at the first shaperange with a "object doesn't support this property or method".

With all this said, my question is this: How can I resize the comments in an Excel file through Access coding?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:13
Just guessing, as I can't test it at the moment but you probably need to set a reference to it so that you can refer to it again.

dim obj as object
set obj = xlsSheet.Range(xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1), xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1)).AddComment.Text strCOMMENT
obj.ShapeRange.ScaleWidth 1.82, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft
obj.ShapeRange.ScaleHeight 1.58, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft

You will probably need a reference set to Excel for msoFalse to work.

HTH

Peter

FLabrecque

Registered User.
Local time
I'll try that, thanks! I'm quite willing to work hard to figure this one out.

FLabrecque

Registered User.
Local time
Sometimes, the solution is so simple! Here is the solution that I found, based on your help:

Code:
xlsSheet.Range(xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1), xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1)).AddComment.Text strTMP
xlsSheet.Range(xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1), xlsSheet.Cells(1, 1)).Comment.Shape.ScaleWidth 1.75, False

This code enlarge the width of the comment by another 75%. I need to figure out how to calculate my % to fit every comments, but that's trial and error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom