Restrict users to certain forms (1 Viewer)

cclark9589

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:03
I've got a time and billing database; Access 2007.

What I would like to do is find a way where when other users are using the database they only have access to their own timesheets. Presently there are 3 of us using the system. What's been happening is on a couple of occassions a user has gone into the timesheet form to enter their hours and not paid attention to whose timesheet they were on.

I'm thinking the best way to solve this (other than beating the crap out them) would be to have some sort of login procedure. As I understand things, you can't use USL in 2007 but it also sounds as though that would be the best way to go because you can create groups and then set how much access people have to various forms.

Is there a way I can setup a login procedure where I could then use code restricting them to their timesheet only?

If not, what sort of functionality will I lose if I convert my database to 2003 and set it up as MDB(?)?

Keep in mind that I still know just enough about Access to where I am very dangerous not only to myself but those who are unfortunate to be in the near vicinity! Sometimes I'm a bit slow and I certainly don't understand all the techno-geek terminology so please respond accordingly.:D

Scooterbug

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:03
Off the top of my head...

Create a login form. Where I work, there is a username (combo box) field, password and department. Employee data (Initials and password) are stored in a table. Once they are logged in, the form remains open. From there, I can reference the user initials from the form.

In your case, you could do the following:
When the timesheet is opened, have it check the userID from the login form. You can then restrict who's timesheet they can view based off of that userID by either using a filter or setting the criteria in the underlining query to equal the userID

Local time
Yesterday, 17:03
Does each person use their own computer and log into windows with their own username? If so, do a search for the funtion fOSUserName().
This function can be called from anywhere in the database (except for tables, or course) to determine the current user accessing the object.
This will require a table with the employee's name and their username.
This method does not require users to enter a password into the database as their identities are being derived from the username of the current windows user.
Just make sure your security policies are enforced (make sure everyone is locking their computers when they step away, and are not sharing their windows passwords)

Understand, that this method is using "security through obscurity". So you can use this method in conjuction with Scooterbug's method for two-fold security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom