rowsource asking for parmamiters (1 Viewer)

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:14
Good afternoon,
i shall cut to the chass as they say , my form has a list on it and in the list is a list of companys when a company name is pressed it loads the relevent record fine. how ever i wanted to add a company search box so i put a text box in and called it txtsearch, and added a buttion with the following code
Code:
Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
Dim strSql As String
strSql = "SELECT tblCustomer.ID, tblCustomer.[Company Name], tblCustomer.Delete FROM tblCustomer WHERE (((tblCustomer.[Company Name]) Like '*' & " & Me.txtSearch.Value & " & '*') AND ((tblCustomer.Delete)=False));"
If Me.txtSearch.Value = Null Then
Me.lstCustomer.RowSource = "SELECT tblCustomer.ID, tblCustomer.[Company Name], tblCustomer.Delete FROM tblCustomer WHERE (((tblCustomer.Delete)=False));"
GoTo foo
Else
Me.lstCustomer.RowSource = strSql
End If
foo:
Me.txtSearch.Value = Null
End Sub

this code works fine how ever when i press the buttion and run the code i get a "Enter Parmamaiter Value" msgbox that has what i tyoed in for its value i then have to reenter the search Criteria then hit ok for it to filter the results.

why do i get this box and is there a way to stop it?

also i have debuged the code and i get the msg box on this line of code
Me.lstCustomer.RowSource = strSql

any help you can give would be appricated!

thanks

cybertyk

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Welcome to AWF!

Your field name "DELETE" is a reserved keyword and needs to be changed to something else. After you've done that, use this:
Code:
strSql = "SELECT ID, [Company Name], [B][COLOR=Red]Delete [/COLOR][/B]FROM tblCustomer WHERE [Company Name] Like '*" & Me.txtSearch.Value & "*' AND [COLOR=Red][B]Delete[/B][/COLOR]=False;"

chriscwilson

Local time
One way of getting to the answer would be to put a message box displaying the text in strSQL as the next line after the assignment (i.e. after strSQL=)

MsgBox "strSQL is " & strSQL

You may see that the SQL statement is not properly formed because there are no quotes around the company name, which is why you are getting the parameter request?

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
thank you i will try this tomorrow and should have known this was a reserved name DUH lol

many thanks

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
well i have changed the reseaved name and the sql command i cant beleave i made such a simple mistake lol

thank you both for your help, it works a treat. XD

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
no probleam, i do have on more question which has been bugging me for ages after i close and open accsses a few times it wont let me open anymore accsses applications untill i end task ACCSSES.exe or what ever, is this due to my poorly writen code or is it microsoft bug?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I can't see all the code in your database so it's hard to tell. It looks like when you close Access it doesn't kill the process.

Have you tried it with a blank database? Or maybe with one of the template databases that come with Access?

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
with a blank one its ok :rant: its my code :( so ill have to tooth comb it and make sure i have written it well then lol

this might take a while

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Create a new blank database and import all your objects into that one. See if that solves the problem.

cybertyk

Registered User.
Local time
okies ill try that now and im gonna also remove all the redundant code XD

time for a spring clean XD

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Remember to close and set to Nothing any objects that you created.

Keep us informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom