Sample DB structure ok? (1 Viewer)

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:39
Hi all,

I am on my way to building my first relational DB. Is anyone able to look at the attached sample and tell me if I am on the right track?

The DB is being desined to record Repair information carried out on a machine. (TblRepair)

The DB will also eventually record refurbished machines (TblRefurb) and also many other situations like stock control, etc.(yet to be designed). Before I go on I just want to check:

> Is this roughly correct so far?
> If I create a new record in the existing form, why can I not enter both UnitID and EmployeeID? Relationship conflict?
> Should I be building forms on a query? (I think the answer is Yes, just need confirmation).
> Is it because of a problem with the query I cannot enter details correctly? (as per the above question).

Any pointers would be very welcome. PS Sorry its v.old A97!

Attachments

• Copy of My DB.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 86

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:39
A few issues. First you have several repeating groups. This is a violation of normalization rules. For example, you should have a separat phone number table:

tblPhones
PhoneID (PK Autonumber)
CustomerID (FK)
PhoneNum
PhoneType

Similar with RepFaults.

Second, I'm not sure why the CustID and EmployeeID are used in the Refurb and Repair tables. CustID should be an FK in the UnitDetail tableAnd refurb should be a child table of UnitDetail.

Mark-BES

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:39
Many thanks for your comments ScottGem - Will make those alterations.

Although I still cannot seem to work out why the following is occuring:
> If I create a new record in the existing form, why can I not enter both UnitID and EmployeeID? Relationship conflict?
> Should I be building forms on a query? (I think the answer is Yes, just need confirmation).
> Is it because of a problem with the query I cannot enter details correctly? (as per the above question).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom