Save to Local Desktop from a Virtual Machine (1 Viewer)

Richard Horne

Local time
Today, 10:35
Hey guys.

Our Access DB has a button that allows users to save a PDF of the report they're working on, to their desktop.

We are moving our Access Database online to be run from an Azure Virtual Machine, but this button now saves the report to the VM's desktop instead of the local desktop.

Code:
'Get the desktop location
strPath = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop")

Is there a special folders equivalent for the local desktop? This needs to be dynamic because the VM could be accessed from any number of computers.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm not sure that a VM would be aware of the current users "local desktop", I don't know how it could know.
What if you were using a tablet or phone or a Mac to access the VM - there is no local "Documents" folder?

Richard Horne

Local time
I'm working on the assumption this will only ever be accessed by a Windows device with a desktop.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:35
I'm working on the assumption this will only ever be accessed by a Windows device with a desktop.
Hi. Do you know how the users would be accessing the VM? Would they be using a bridged network or RDP?

Richard Horne

Local time
There will be 10-15 users tops and they're using RDP through Microsoft's own Remote Desktop App.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:35
There will be 10-15 users tops and they're using RDP through Microsoft's own Remote Desktop App.
In that case, you might look into RDP Virtual Channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom