Search is down (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:24
There is a problem with elastic search that I am looking into. Hopefully get search back up soon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Looks like there was a hack attack on the server, which contains this site and about 9 other sites. My host said there was about 60 requests from one IP address per second. They did a few things and search is working again.

Elastic search is just some service on the server that helps speed up search queries, I believe.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 13:24
Elastic search is just some service on the server that helps speed up search queries, I believe
that's the purpose of the word "elastic" I think, actually. It's like ''elasticity'' in economics.

My host said there was about 60 requests from one IP address per second.
holy cow Jon, that's just like a DDOS attack, is it not?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They were just probing for vulnerable files, according to my host. But they were attacking all 10 sites simultaneously.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, TECHNICALLY, if it is from a single source IP address, it is a DOS. If it is from multiple originating IP addresses, THEN it is a DDOS. But based on the feedback from Jon's server manager, I'd say it probably doesn't count as a DOS either. It is merely a "low-hanging fruit" sweep.

conception_native_0123

Local time
They were just probing for vulnerable files
if you look at godaddy reports in the backend cPanel tools or Plesk dashboards, you can see hundreds of hits a day to wordpress admin login pages that result in server errors. I once had a discussion with an agent there about that, and he confirmed that it was the underground folks just trolling for vulnerability. kind of like me! rich Richard? right @CJ_London ? =(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They are always going after WordPress sites because many do not have the latest versions and updated plugins. This leaves security holes. WordPress has autoupdating plugins features nowadays which is great. Cuts down some of the risk.

conception_native_0123

Local time
WordPress has autoupdating plugins features nowadays which is great. Cuts down some of the risk.
i think we've already had that discussion Jon. I disapprove of auto-updating. although I must say that I think you are right and I am wrong. I think auto-updating is the new way to go. after all, everyone and their dog is doing it, so why not us too right?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i think we've already had that discussion Jon. I disapprove of auto-updating. although I must say that I think you are right and I am wrong. I think auto-updating is the new way to go. after all, everyone and their dog is doing it, so why not us too right?

In anti-virus and internet security packages, operating systems, and utility packages, auto-update is indeed the way to go. However, such things are often tunable and in that case are "the best of both worlds." If you CAN set something to check for updates & notify you of availability, then you can choose a time to do the update - but at least know that one is pending. Many of the modern packages also allow you to do "time-window" updates - i.e. I tell my computer to do software updating automatically between 0200 and 0600, times when I am certainly asleep and thus not using the computer for anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom