Searching in related field (1 Viewer)

gringope24

Local time
Today, 03:20
Hi Folks,

When the table field is related to another field in another table then mostly the easiest way to choose a value is to use combo box.
When there are available five, ten or even few dozens of values to choose, it is no problem with clarity of using the form.

The problem arise when I have several hundreds of records in combo - let assume that you choose a customer. In many application customer table can have even few hundreds of records, I think that using combo box might be not the best solution.

Of course you can search combo as you type, but it requires from user knowing the beginning of the customer name ( in some situation it is not so obvious, because sometimes you use only a part of a name in daily routine and using a combo you need to know exactly the beginning of the name).
Therefore I was think what technique you use in this situation and if using combo is still valuable?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:20
I wondered if this might Do what you want:-

If you want a free copy, contact me by private message and I will explain how you can get a free copy ..

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
Hi. You could also take a look at @MajP FAYT combobox. You can search from the beginning or anywhere in the customer name.

gringope24

Local time
Today, 03:20
Thank you for your propositions, but it not fit my expectations of intuitive user interface.
I was thinking about two solutions:
1) Combo box which will be filtered dynamically, when you type at least 2-3 characters and combo automatically dropdown to show matches
2) Instead of combo box use textbox with DLookUp function. Next to text box would be button "..." which opens simple pop-up form with search box and list box to show results. You choose a customer by clocking twice on list box. As previously in mai form the customer name is presented by text box with DLookUp function.,

Have you been already practicing these ideas and have any arguments for or against?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:20
1) Combo box which will be filtered dynamically, when you type at least 2-3 characters and combo automatically dropdown to show matches
Hi. Pardon me, but isn't that exactly what @MajP FAYT combobox does. Have you tried it?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:20
Hi. Pardon me, but isn't that exactly what @MajP FAYT combobox does. Have you tried it?
@theDBguy. Actually this is a feature that I currently do not have. Instead I start with the full list and filter down from there. This is fine IMO for probably up to about 50-100k items in a Access only setup (no other RDMS as the backend). Above that you would probably want something more efficient where you start with no records and then have to enter N characters before it returns any hits and then it filters beyond N characters
Enough people have been interested in that feature so when I get some time I will add that feature. I will allow the user to set Min characters. However, with a few hundred records this is a non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom