Searching specific fields vba (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:14
I have a form with 10 fields. I want to create a command button that only searches 5 of the fields.
I want it to be "any part of field" too.

Is this possible?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:14
I presume the 5 fields are text. If so, you can use Like "*<search string>*" to search for the occurrence of a string in the field. Use the OR operator for multiple fields.

Code:
....WHERE Field1 Like "*abc*" OR Field2 Like "*abc*" OR Field3 Like "*abc*" .....

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Yes all text. But I want to be able to enter a value, not have it there already. Can you provide me with a full example?

Thanks!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Create an unbound control on the search form and enter the search value there. Then the query can reference that control.

Where Field1 Like "*" & Forms!yourform!yourcontrol & "*" AND Field2 Like "*" & Forms!yourform!yourcontrol & "*" AND ...

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Can you provide me with a complete example? Not following it, sry...

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
I'm really just looking to use the Access search but restrict it to a few fields (any part of field) instead of the whole document.

Mike Krailo

Local time
The attached database is an example of three column search from one search box. Uses a variation on the concept in the Access Learning Zone video pointed out by Gasman.

Attachments

• MulitFieldSearch.accdb
    852 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I've seen a few of those but I just want to use the built in search from Access. Create a VBA button that works the same but let's me use only a few fields.

Mike Krailo

Local time
The builtin search does not work the way you requested. You have to roll your own.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
I'm using the following now... So, no way to do what I'm talking about here?
Can't make it look through specific fields here?

Me.Search.SetFocus
RunCommand acCmdFind
SendKeys "{Tab}{Tab}{Up}", True

Mike Krailo

Local time
Using SendKeys is a bad idea. There is no way for us to even know what that is doing since you have not provided us with form or a sample of it. You should use a query to do what you want. Did you even look at the example I gave you. It does exactly what you want provided you have a continuous form.

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I did. I do not have a continuous form. Like I said, I was hoping to simply create vba version of the build in Access search.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Well kitty, I don't know what to tell you. The example I gave you does exactly what you asked for even if you switch it to Single Form View. You would then have to step through each record found in the search. If the search is over five different fields then you could have quite a few records to step through. I looked at the download views for the example database I provided and it say zero downloads FYI.

I get the feeling that you are not describing what you are looking for clearly enough. That little search box on the bottom of any form searches all fields in the form. The one I provided searches all the fields you specify in the query. So not sure how to help you any better than that.

Last edited:

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Mike, been working with your suggestion. I guess I just did not understand it at first. Looks like it working for me now.
One question, when you enter a value that is not there, I get a blank record. Any way to get a message box instead saying nothing found or something other than a blank record?

Thanks again...

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 20:14
Is this something like your looking for

If so it's available here

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:14
so you changed to filtering instead of Finding.
why not.

Attachments

• Continuous_Filter_button.zip
    599.4 KB · Views: 111

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom