Security - users cannot read from table (1 Viewer)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
Hello,

I have security set up for my application with users assigned to groups (Admins, Employee, Manager, Users). Everything was working well until I needed to add a lookup table. Only Admins and Managers can read from this table now, so my form won't load! I noticed that under "New Tables/Queries" Employees did not have Read access, which may be the cause. The annoying thing though is that this seems to be irreversible!?! I've tried setting the permissions at the user level and the group level (i.e. removing permissions and then adding them again). The only thing I haven't done (because I'm a little nervous about it) is remove the Employee group altogether and re-add it ...?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Sean

ecniv

Access Developer
Local time
Today, 19:54
Open the DB, and security>Permissions
Select the users group
Select the table in question (and possibly any queries/forms afterwards)
Change the settings to allow anyone to read it, and edit it (as a test).
Apply -> OK
Close db
Close Access
Reopen and load in as a user
open the db and try to get to the screen to see if it lets you a) see it b) edit it.
If it lets you edit it, then you need to go back in as an admin and change the settings accordingly.

If you are unsure, make a back up of the mdw, the mdb (fe and be) befor eyou mess with it. Also the mdw should be a copy and not the main shared mdw which everyone uses... Incase it goes wrong and does something nasty to everyone :)

Vince

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
Thanks for the reply Vince!

The steps you described are what I have been trying over and over again. Only the Managers and Administrators groups seem to be able to read it. After setting the read permission to the Employees group (and failing), I even tried setting read permission to a specific user (within the Employees group) and logging in as that person but that didn't work either which is what is really confusing me - if I set a permission on the user level, would that not overide the group permissions?

Thanks again,
-Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom