Selecting and storing one or more choices (1 Viewer)

bbwolff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:19
At data entry i'd like to assign some denominators for quick searching later.
let's say these are interests like sports, games, music....
there could be one or more categories for each person, and in the end there could be a lot of categories, certainly 20+, but the idea is that i could add more when needed.

What's the best way to store these data?
Should i create a new table called groups and create a coloumn for each category and write the ID there? Should i add one field to the common table and store all interests there as csv? Many coloumns?

how to collect these data? i don't want text field due to spelling errors and inconsistency (don't want someone to add automobiles and the other cars). Plenty of checkboxes? Multichoice box?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:19
I'm not really sure I understand the question. To help with this understanding, could you give some idea of how you think the form will be laid out.

bbwolff

Registered User.
Local time
I'm doing a surgery dtb. We collect data for a lot of different things and sometimes the data is fractioned in details, so it could be hard to quickly select all pts that have some common feature. So i'd like to add some other index or groups, maybe even user defined for each person to define pts he's looking for. those groups are used for things that can't be simply deducted from gathered data. In theory i could of course segment and add stuff to original data gathering forms, but that would mean more work for each input and ppl are complaining as it is. Would also be a lot of hassle to create search forms. this way they'd just quickly click or select groups that are appropriate and then you could simply search by one keyword.
I could add a checkbox for each group and then just store surgery IDs in a table in different coloumns.

bbwolff

Registered User.
Local time
maybe... sounds complicated though

i have this solution currently
i created a multivalue list, multiple choices, all stored in one coloumn of the reference table
then i concentate all values to a csv and store that in one field in a
have to be careful with choice of values (can't have car and care etc...)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:19
Well if you ask me, your solution sounds complicated, and it's definitely not a regular MS Access way of doing it. If you decide to use your own solution, then you run in to the problem mentioned in this thread:- http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=671226

Extract:-
*you will be able to come up with your own unique methods of extracting the data, however you will find there is little help available, not because no one wants to help you, but because you are embarking into uncharted territory,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom