Question Selecting Drop Down Value with closest date (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Hi,

I have a drop down list populated by a query as below:

Code:
SELECT id, name, name_start_date FROM tbl_name ORDER BY name_start_date DESC;
I would like this list to still be available but the default value to select the closest id for the record with the name_start_date that is nearest the current date (but in the future).

I hope that makes sense, I've been experimenting with the Default Value property and the expressions using Date Diff but I am quite literally stuck!..pesky!

Thanks

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:44
think I understand - if your data is

id........name.....namestartdate
1.........fred.......01/01/2018
4.........harry.....01/01/2017
3.........George..01/01/2016

you want the default value to be 4

before trying to provide a solution, is this correct?

also, is the listbox unbound?

and you do know that name is a reserved word? using it can produce unexpected results

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry, the other question is

What happens if you have two ID's with the same start date?

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you are correct with your data representation.

You are also correct about the name field, in reality I used something else but I wanted to make the question easy to understand (apologies I shouldn't have used "name" here).

The listbox is bound, the ID is used to populate a field in a new record created by the form.

Finally the listbox records could theoretically have 2 or more rows with the same start date but if they did it would be user-error when completing another part of the database. I'll add some validation to solve this as theoretically it shouldn't happen (it is essentially 1 date per month and I want to be able to save the user time when completing the form by automatically selecting the next value as default, this will be correct 99% of the time).

I really hope that makes sense.

Thanks

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I used something else but I wanted to make the question easy to understand
always better to use the real name or at least explain you are using generic names - so often it can hide the real problem or requires unnecessary additional investigation.

try something like this in the listbox default value property

=dlookup("ID","tbl_name","name_start_date = dmin('name_start_date','tbl_name','name_start_date >Date()')")

note the use of single quotes for dmin because it is within the criteria of the dlookup. alternatively

=dlookup("ID","tbl_name","name_start_date = " & dmin("name_start_date","tbl_name","name_start_date >Date()"))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom