Selecting unbound checkbox in detail section modifies all checkboxes (1 Viewer)

ELiedeker

Local time
Today, 06:18
Hello! My first question. I haven't found the answer elsewhere.

I have a form with an unbound checkbox in the detail section of the form. Its purpose is to check off a supply on an order form as fulfilled. There is no corresponding field in the database. When selected, I update the database to remove the info that flags that supply as needing to be ordered. I can do it a different way, but I'm puzzled why this unbound field isn't unique for each detail record, since it's in the detail section of the form. The underlying VBA code works as expected, only updating the record of the corresponding supply, but of course all checkboxes on the form are checked or unchecked each time the user clicks on one of them.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Eileen

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:18
if it is unbound then it is not unique per record. You will have to have a corresponding field or do it another way.

ELiedeker

Local time
Today, 06:18
Thank you! I'm surprised not to have encountered this before. Do all controls behave this way? I thought I've had unbound combo boxes, for instance, that behave uniquely per record.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:18
Yes all controls work this way. If you think about how a continuous form works this makes sense. In design view you only have one set of controls that you can alter the properties. When a continuous form loads each row is painted (hence the on paint event). As it paints it pulls the unique values per row. If you do not want to add a field to your table then you could consider a multi select listbox. However, adding a boolean field works well and is simple to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom