Question Serious Error Tied to Database Name? (1 Viewer)

swat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:22
I have a split Access 2010 database on a network with only 2 users. Recently they received the dreaded error "The document xxx caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?" Both users continued to get the error and each time Access created a Backup file in the same directory.

So I had the file restored from the server from the past night's backup. I opened it from my workstation and received no error so emailed them and told them it was repaired. They emailed back that they continued to get the same error.

To further test, I made a copy of the database and appended a 1 to the name (e.g. MyDatabase1.accdb) and we were all able to open it without any warning. Do I deleted the original database and renamed the test with the appended 1, back to the original database name. Now, both users continue to get the error from their workstations, but I can open it find from my workstation. If we just change the name to append the 1, they are fine.

They have rebooted their systems and we waited overnight to see if there were any type of network issues that may have been resolved but nothing has changed. They continue to work with the "1" database until we can figure this out.

It appears as though their workstations have cached some type of error associated with the original production database name. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Is there some type of cache that needs to be cleaned out of their workstations?

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide!

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Your database may be corrupted. Copy same to a new file. Repair and compact. If it's still "bad," create a new database and import all the objects from the original database.

swat

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, llkhoutx. Yes, I have been able to copy, create new, etc. but whenever I name the database with the original database name only those two users continue to get the error. So I can't even put a repaired database back in the network folder with the correct production name.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like you privileges aren't correct. do it with "administator" privileges if you can get them.

swat

Registered User.
Local time
I do have admin rights on my workstation so you might have the idea. I'll give it a try.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Typically you need to have MODIFY rights on the folder in which your database backend is kept. If the file in question is also generated there, you would definitely run into a problem. Don't forget this factor about Office - most of the time when you are editing a document (Excel and Word do this for certain; others... maybe), a temporary file is created to hold the new file pending your first SAVE operation. You need rights to create a file, which means READ/WRITE access to all files in the folder and READ/WRITE access to the folder itself (because you are modifying a directory entry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom