Server Configuration Help (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 14:11
Our current file server needs replaced (running Windows Server 2008 and highly usage) and we are likely to do so in 4Q. I don't have enough background knowledge to know about the total server costs (aside from hardware). Licensing and all that. Our 3rd party IT company is quoting between $12K - $15K while our Dell salesman stops by and quotes to the main office $2500 - $4K :rolleyes:

Our 3rd party IT company has already implied that we would need TWO servers, one for files and one as an application server. I've defintely heard in the past that for security purposes you want segmentation, but I assumed in this day in age that is acheived via virtualization. My untrained pea brain doesn't see much difference between two servers connected to the same network vs. two virtual servers running on one hardware server connected to the same network.

We are a small company with 5-10 office employees at my location and there are 5-7 office employees at our main office.
Currently each location has their own file server managing active directory for users at each location and use exchange server along with Office standard to manage our e-mail.

Before I naviagte between two different salesman, I thought I would try to educate myself a little. I'll try to answer any questions I can.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:11
The "segmentation of purpose" is a way to make it harder for hackers to get into valuable data.

The U.S. Navy was fairly security-conscious and we often used VM to segregate servers so that one VM instance was a file server while another VM instance was for specific applications.

The problem, of course, is that you now have three times as many servers to patch. The VM server will have ITS patches and the two VM instances will have THEIR patches.

The solution for "dueling salesmen" is to ask for a detailed quote by line-item. Typically, vendors get you on cross-site licensing so you would see several site licenses popping up and that adds to software costs very quickly. In fact, when the Navy bought a set of Itanium processors (it's a 64-bit Intel "Longhorn" configuration), the software was more expensive than the hardware.

The biggest issue is how many users will want to cross network boundaries for applications execution? If everyone has a local server, then almost everything is local and the only issue would be crossing data between the two sites. Not that it would be difficult, but non-local connections for Access always lead to difficulties.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 03:11
When we were replacing our server we used this page to calculate the fees we would face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom