Question Service Packs and Hot Fixes (1 Viewer)

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
Hi all,

I've been using 2003 to develop for many years.
With that I distribute the 2003 RT version for those Clients without Access.
Most of the Users run without any problems but then you do get those one in 10 to upset the apple cart.

Closing downs with that horrible "Access detected an error and must close" with the option to recover. Sure most of you know the error.
Also - cases where the linked pictures keep showing as loading just before the form opens.

I'm wondering if this is not to do with Service packs on the RT version (or even full version for some Clients).
The app runs 100% on my PC and I've got 2003 with SP3.

But I've read somewhere about hotfixes and warning against some hotfixes with patches or visa-versa.

Anyone who can tell me what is the absolute best and most stable setup to use with 2003 RT.
Which SP and which hotfix or patch.

Maybe I should add that I run the following version of Access 2003 with SP3:

I did some searching and could not find a later post-SP3 hotfix than the one I have installed.
This could explain why my system is running more stable than some of my Client's machines.

So this comes with another question. Is a hotfix like a SP in that if you install the very latest one in combines all the previous hotfixes as well or do you have to install each hotfix one after the other to get the ultimate result?

Thanks a lot
Pierre

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:17
I'm pretty sure that MS is no longer releasing updates for A2003. So, if your system is fully patched, that is the version you want for your users. Are they all still using Win-XP and Office 2003 also? If they are using newer versions of windows and office, you might consider switching to A2010. The runtime is free (the A2013 runtime has not yet been released).

Freshman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
Hi Pat,
Thanks for that. I'm did download SP3 as well as the latest hotfix (was just not sure if I had to download all the hotfixes since SP3).
I know that A2110RT is free but it doesn't have the same "feel" as 2003 which I still like slightly more. But it is worth a test yes - thanks.
Pierre

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom