session timeout (2 Viewers)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:09
richard,

I don't know if I've mentioned this since your last post here, but the timeout has happened time and time again now on this new machine of mine. For your curiosity, I took snapshots of the cache at each point in the process to show you what files appear when the session is timed out. But I don't think it's relevant. Also included is a snapshot of my default directory where chrome holds its CURRENT SESSION info. I don't think that's relevant either. I was just curious about the issue, I'm not really interested in solving it. At some point I might post a question on the chrome boards about this but only if I'm bored. Also, apparently the forensics experts in the world use some of these files to investigate computer users' activity. They reverse engineered the file encryption:

https://github.com/JRBANCEL/Chromagnon

https://github.com/JRBANCEL/Chromagnon/wiki/Reverse-Engineering-SSNS-Format

Do these images say anything about this problem do you think? If they do, I certainly can't see it.

Attachments

• cache_after_awf_pageload.png
    cache_after_awf_pageload.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 105
  • cache_after_awf_afterLogin.png
    cache_after_awf_afterLogin.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 105
  • cache_after_awf_after_timeout.jpg
    cache_after_awf_after_timeout.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 99
  • cache_after_awf_2nd_login.png
    cache_after_awf_2nd_login.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 103
  • chrome_default_dir.jpg
    chrome_default_dir.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 104

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
furthermore richard, I wrote a PHP file with one code line in it that sets a cookie with a 60 second timeout. The image doesn't show anything because of the encryption garbage, but it does mean that chrome is accepting the cookies. the same is probably true if I did the same thing with:
Code:
$_SESSION[]
in PHP. I'm assuming Jon's code is using cookies and not sessions. these guys do a great job of explaining how cookies with a timeout argument might be causing this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CS-eQdcMLU

Attachments

• testcookie encryption.png
    testcookie encryption.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, I have to admit more than just boredom. Knowing the contents of your cookie jar doesn't tell me or anyone else anything unless we know the content of each cookie.

First, while I have been trained in general network operation, I have NOT been trained in network forensics. I have dabbled in it at best.

Second, I have used three browsers personally or with the Navy but Chrome wasn't one of them. Therefore, Chrome's specific behavior with respect to the cookies it makes and the cookies it keeps is beyond my expertise.

I believe I told you earlier that the problem you were seeing was due to a cookie with a short lifespan. Nothing so far has changed my mind.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
it was just an experiment richard. I didn't expect you to look into it. I was just curious. I posted the images in case anyone else is curious about this dumb thing. Like I said, I will continue to deal with the annoyance until I can ask google about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom