Set Warnings problem (1 Viewer)

M

Mike375

The code I have for the Word.docs was done by the Access developer company and because the code I used in Access 95 would not work in A2003. The problem was EditGoTo for the Bookmarks would not work. I contacted Microsoft and they confirmed that EditGoTo was a problem and then gave me the name of the Access Developer company.

docmd.domenuitem would be a conversion of a macro where the macro was made in A95.

The biggest mistake I made was letting the Access developer go his own way....which resulted in a huge module (another one). The stuff is also linked to a form name and can't be used elswhere. The fact that I can do a work around to open Word.docs and Bookmarks etc on another form is besides the point. What has me beat is why they do so much typing. What I did in A95 was each label that held the code was independent and I had one lot of typing....then copy/paste and simply change the Word.doc name.

So far there have only been the two failures. We always go back after the print is done and check the letter has been copied to a new Access record. I don't know if the huge module is a problem or A2003 or XP as we never had a failure on A95 and Windows 98. The two failures were no big deal because it worked on third attempt and there were no failures before and no failures since.

But I have seen the same with macros. In my opinion if someone thinks code or macros are 100% then they are wrong. But perhaps because my data base has so many loop around, open form, close form etc and etc all off one click it may cause a problem. I have never claimed this data base is an example of fine engineers at work:D

R

Rich

The biggest mistake I made was letting the Access developer go his own way....

Actually the biggest mistake you made was to use Access as a spreadsheet with 2000 macros and then blame Access:rolleyes:

M

Mike375

Actually the biggest mistake you made was to use Access as a spreadsheet with 2000 macros and then blame Access:rolleyes:

I saw a db just before Christmas that is quite a lot bigger than mine. Although it is similar in that most of the macros, queries and forms are no longer used.

R

Rich

I saw a db just before Christmas that is quite a lot bigger than mine. Although it is similar in that most of the macros, queries and forms are no longer used.

Size is irrelevant, it's the structure that matters

R

Rich

But structure will in turn impact on how many forms, macros, pieces of code and queries are required.

That's what I'm saying, had you gotten the structure correct to start with you wouldn't have needed so many macros etc., etc

M

Mike375

That's what I'm saying, had you gotten the structure correct to start with you wouldn't have needed so many macros etc., etc

Agree 100%. My nastiest little problem which will surface when the next lot of computers are purchased is the MoveSize action. Orginally my forms were made on 800X600 and open with about 1/4"space all around. They still look fine on 1024X68 and sort of OK at the next stage up but at the next resolution they are not good when parked right at the top of the screen and the bottomhalf of the screen bare. However, rather than having made a macro for just MoveSize and using it like a module....I am sure you have guessed:D

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:21
that works the other way as well - i generally develop on 1024*768 say - this causes problems when users insist on trying ot use 800*600

you can automatically resize forms to fit a window, but its not just that - some objects on the forms needs to be kept in a fixed size/location relative to one edge of the form, while others should generally move to fill space avaialble. continuous forms are OK, because they expand to fill the form size

this is really hard, as it would need every form examining carefully, to determine how to resize/move objects on a form

What I do use, is a module from the access cookbook which sets/retrieves last used form sizes and positions by saving them in the registry - at least users can put forms where they like them with this.

M

Mike375

that works the other way as well - i generally develop on 1024*768 say - this causes problems when users insist on trying ot use 800*600

I had that when I first started Access in about 1996. I had 800X600 and couple of friends had 600X 400. I sent them some examples of my early Access attempts and great frustration broke out over the phone because none of knew what the problem was.

I seem to remember (might have been on this forum) that some type of software was available so that forms woul adjust to different resolution like many of the forums.

Just recently I tried mine of friends latest hot shot computer with whatever is the top resolution and I would be OK as long as I change the Down from .15cm to something bigger to bring the forms down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom