Setting default value in form control from another control (1 Viewer)

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:20
Greetings,

I want to set a default date value in a form control based on a date value in another control using the dateadd function. I want this default value to be able to be modified if needed.

Is this possible? The field remains blank even when there is a value in the source control. I used the function dateadd("d", 90, [SourceControlName]).

If this won't work, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 12:20
Are both forms open when you do this?
Also, what event are you using to fill your field?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:20
Controls where the ControlSource starts with the equal sign or which are empty are NOT bound. Therefore, they would never be saved when the record is saved.

Storing a calculated value such as this violates second normal form. You can easily add the calculation to a query.

If you elect to violate rules of database normalization, put your calculation in the AfterUpate event of the first date field

Me.SecondDate = dateadd("d", 90, Me.[SourceControlName]).

PaulA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:20
Thanks - the source field actually comes from another table and won't be updating it. I was hoping to use it for this form. I can do a dlookup and use that for the calculation.

thanks.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 12:20
PaulA,

If you are saving it, you can also set a Default Value on the Data tab for the Text box in its properties. I am under the impression that your end users can change this in some cases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom