Question Sharing Database (1 Viewer)

Alan Harrison

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
I've just upgraded from Access 2003 to 2007 on my desktop PC. My Front End converted to 2007 format without problems and I created an .accde file.

My FE is linked to my BE which resides in the same folder.
I kept the BE in the 2003 format because I still run 2003 on my laptop and I want to link through the network to the BE.

If I try to link the laptop FE when the Desktop FE is linked it won't link and I get the message. "the file is already in use"

If I shut down the Desktop FE my Laptop FE links fine. I can then link the Desktop FE but it's in read only.

I've spent ages trying to sort this and I could do with some help.

My wife has suggested that I drive around the city for a few more hours before I stop and ask for directions like I always do. In this case I think I know I'm beat.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:03
It sounds like the locking file for ac2007 is not compatable with the locking file for ac2003. You could have run the FE in 2003 format from ac2007 and probably not had any problems.

Last edited:

Alan Harrison

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your help Al.

I converted back and everything is fine now. Being able to use the Offce button and save as previous version made it easy.

regards

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting back.

Alan Harrison

Registered User.
Local time
Ha! Spoke too soon.

Everything was working fine so I moved the 2003 version of the BE on to my office PC and I'm back to the same problem. As far as I can tell, everything is the same on my Home PC (where I do all the mods to the DB) as on the office PC.
I'm going to try moving the BE to the windows Shared Files folder rather than just sharing the folder that the BE that it's in. I'm not confident that it will make a difference though. I can access and edit word files from each machine where ever the folder is located.
Any other ideas anyone?

regards to all.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you linked the BE through MyNetworkPlaces?

Alan Harrison

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Al that's what I did. Linking the tables from the laptop seemed to take an age. Probably about 90 seconds before they linked but I don't think that's a connected issue. I didn't get a chance to try again today. With only one person able to get into the DB there's a bit of a queue building up. I'll go in early tomorrow and try random clicking. If you can think if anything else I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom