Simple Query.. (1 Viewer)

IanWright

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:40
Hi guys, wondering if you could help me, I can't seem to get this right..

I have two tables in question:

Items: StyleTypes:
------ ------------
ItemID ItemType
ItemType StyleType
Style
Lots of Attributes

ItemType is a list of items (Table, Desk, Bookshelf, Chair)
Style is a type of style for the item (Circular table, Radial Desk)

I want to create the Items.Style field based upon a query of the StyleTypes. So if a user types "Desk" in Items.ItemType then the Items.Style field will be limited to only those Styles which match that selected item within the StyleTypes table.

Think thats clear enough, but my attempts have all failed, hope you guys can give me a push in the right direction, thank you!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:40
Initially I would suggest a search for information on cascading combo boxes, see how far you get with that, and then you will probably want to post back with some more questions!

IanWright

Registered User.
Local time
I've not got to the data entry stage, I was trying to do this still at a table/query level...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:40
I think I know what you are driving at, you want to have the "look up" work in the table layout. If that is the case then, it is not a good idea to design your tables with look ups showing in the fields, you are far better off keeping your "look up" features on your forms.

As you construct more databases you will find that having the "look up" feature in the tables is misleading and confusing. You are far better off if the tables actually display the fundamental data.

IanWright

Registered User.
Local time
Oh ok, yeah that is the kinda thing I was intending to do. So how would you I go about doing it on a form?

Everything on my form is going to use combo boxes for rapid data entry (hit first letter and tab to autofill), therefore I don't want the multiple field combo boxes, I'm assuming thats what you mean by cascaded ones.

As an example if the user types:
ItemType = "Chair" then StyleType = "Operator", "Conference", "Stool"
ItemType = "Table" then StyleType = "Circular", "Semi Circular", "Rectangular"

This needs me to therefore filter the StyleType field based on the ItemType one, but I'm not sure how to do that on a form, my query knowledge is pretty poor which is why I'm seeing if I can get some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom