Small Business Server (1 Viewer)

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:03
Has anyone had experience (and resolutions) to conflicts between Access and the Small Business Server? I have a client with 10 users an A2K database and Small Business Server where they are requiring to compact and repair the database about five times a day. When the backend reached about 13.8Mb in size the whole system slows down and even moving between fields can take a minute.

Someone has suggested that this may be the problem but I'm not so sure.

Roni Sutton

Registered User.
Local time
I can't speak to your problem, but we have a fairly large server that was recently converted to Novell. (I don't know what it was before.) Since the conversion, our multiple user Access 97 dbs get corrupt on a regularl - sometimes daily - basis. It seems to be isolated to a combination of someone having Access 97 on a Windows 2000 op sys workstation and may have nothing to do with Novell at all. The only reason I even mention it is that perhaps your problem is also related to the operating system interacting with A2k as opposed to the server. Worth a look into.

Last edited:

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that. All the client machines were upgraded to Office Professional 2000 with A2K. They were also given more memory to help cope with the size of the database. Each client machine has their own frontend looking to the server for the backend.

Interestingly, the IT guys were in about two months ago and put every patch they could find on to the server and gave it a good clear out and tuning. It's been working well, compacted once a day, up until about 2 weeks ago when the performance dropped again. I'm not on site but the client can't think of anything that's changed.

The database is about 20MB in size when it's newly compacted.

Roni Sutton

Registered User.
Local time
That sounds so much like our issues. They keep giving the server a clean bill of health. HOWEVER, they did find some corrupt files in the Office 97 clip art folder, so they reinstalled Access 97 on the server. We are still having some odd issues, but haven't had the corruption problems that we were having. I don't know how they discovered the corruption - we aren't allow to talk directly to our Network Administrators, we might soil their ivory tower or something.

The only other thing I can think of is that if one PC that accesses the db has corrupt files on it and that PC is not used often or the person has been on vacation, that PC may be why you've suddenly started seeing the issues again. It's been a nightmare for us and we just have our fingers crossed that it doesn't resurface. Good luck.

DBL

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Roni, every bit helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom