Solar panel power up! (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:20
What is the kw charge when you stop twice for 15-20 minutes? And is it four times round trip?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:20
I paid just under $16 for the 2 stops for Tesla recharging. There are other providers with different charges, some with loyalty schemes. There's even a motoring group providing a number of free chargers (at least for the time being) across the state to promote EVs. However there is usually only one charging point cf Tesla charging stations with at least 6.

Other factors affecting cost are climate (heating/cooling is extra power consumption) and also how "hard" the car is driven similar to an internal combustion (ICE) vehicle. With two motors generating up to 580 horsepower total it can go 0 - 60 mph in just over 4 seconds but this sucks the battery charge.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With two motors generating up to 580 horsepower total it can go 0 - 60 mph in just over 4 seconds
WOW.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
How about ridiculously more? The Tesla model S can be optioned up to having 3 motors developing 1020 hp and 0-60 mph in 2.0 seconds - 1.3 g in my reckoning. But one thing you cannot do in the car - rev the engine at the lights.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
One of my co-workers got solar panels. It helps a bit with the electric bill. But he missed some information in the fine print and he ended not getting as good as deal as he thought (The KWH price changes over time).

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
One of my co-workers got solar panels. It helps a bit with the electric bill. But he missed some information in the fine print and he ended not getting as good as deal as he thought (The KWH price changes over time).
It does seem there is always a hook to get people to go green. One example is the diamond lane hook, if you bought a green car you can drive the diamond lane for a fixed amount of time, then it expires.

Another hook might be the government's incentives to go green with solar power in the form of rebates they also expire. Furthermore, the installers will often demand the government's incentives as part of the installation package. The consumer is left with 7-10 years to recoup their investment.

The murky waters do not help people who are on the fence about going green.

Last edited:

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:50
I live in Adelaide in South Australia. I installed 5KW of panels 8.2 years ago They cost about $6K AUS at the time. The Government and Power retailer were offering a rebate of 23c per KW hour which later reduced to 12 cents then 9 cents and is currently at 16 cents. So cost wise it is hard to determine if i am ahead. However since they were installed they have generated 61,859 KiloWatts and I have exported a total of 39,927 KiloWatts after some of the power is consumed in the house. On average I am generating 20.1 kw per day. I am importing 13.6 KW per day from the electrical mains (grid) and exporting 13.4 KW. The issue is that the power being imported is at about 39C per KW versus the rebate of 16 cents per KW for exported power.
I checked and found that my quarterly power bills average $290 varying from a high $451 in Winter and $186 in Summer. The issue is the daily supply charge to be connected to the grid of 80c or $73/Qtr. $292 pa
I had a reputable person review these figures and my system and he recommended putting an additional 3 KWatts of panels up (8KW in total) and forgoing the storage battery until they drop in price and the reliability improves. The batteries cost about $12K here fully installed. Once they drop in price I would definitely look at them. But at the current pricing by the time you pay the battery off its time to buy a new one.
There is an Australian Govt testing laboratory in Canberra and they confirmed same with respect to buying a battery.
This article gives you an overview of the battery testing. Ignore the advertising and look at the analysis. 75% of Home Batteries Faulty In Long Term Battery Testing (solarquotes.com.au

Last edited:

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
I had a battery installed with panels. I knew it was not economically justifiable but I had spare cash during lock downs and figured there was the added advantage of power during planned or unplanned black outs.

But be wary when talking to installers about this. The people who come out to quote are mainly sales reps with no technical background. When I asked about backup supply from the battery, I had some who said solar would not generate during blackouts. Completely false. What the inverter is required to do is to isolate the house from the grid so there is no live wiring. A lot of inverters achieve this by isolating the solar panels and battery. I went for an inverter which has extra functionality allowing certain circuits to receive power from the panels/battery. I have both lighting circuits and one power circuit supplying power to the kitchen.

Yes, I did consider a generator but this way I don't need extra wiring or extension cords trailing through the house.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Question: During a blackout, the inverter kicks in similar to a generator correct? Second how long can the inverter last on battery power, I know there are many variables but are we talking about a day/week?

Thanks

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
The industry needs to figure out how to deal with the millions of new batteries it's producing and their impact on the environment specifically the lead
Improvement is been made ,hopefully soon, we should start seeing it.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
WARNING don't rent a Tesla for the weekend as I did, otherwise you run the risk of getting hooked on the car
That's what modern technology can do, it will increase one's desire for it. Mankind generally is fascinated with new products/ improvements in design, performance, etc.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Second how long can the inverter last on battery power, I know there are many variables but are we talking about a day/week?
As you have rightly said, it depends on some variables like

1. Capacity of the batteries
2. Number of equipments and types of equipments been powered

If you are talking about a scenario that applies to a home, around 12- 24 hours.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If the power goes out for more than 12-24 hours then what? I suspect one would hope the solar panels would kick in and replenish the batteries.

NG spoke about his generator running on propane or natural gas Wouldn't that be more effective if long-term blackouts are expected.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Question: During a blackout, the inverter kicks in similar to a generator correct?
The inverter monitors the grid side, on the house side of the main switch in the "fuse" box. When there is no power, there's switching in the inverter isolate the grid and two of the power circuits to the GPOs in the house as well as direct circuits to the AC and oven. That leaves one power circuit and the two light circuits connected to the battery/panels.

The house base load is just over 100watts (for clocks, standby on TV and AC etc), with fridge increasing that to 200 w (I was surprised how little power it uses). Apart from shorter days in winter and cloudy days, we are net exporters to the grid after recharging the battery and topping up the EV.

So when you ask how long in terms of day/week, I'd say we are OK for power for maybe 250 - 300 days a year.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
If there is light on the panels, electricity will be generated and supplied for the house power demand and to recharge the battery if necessary. When light diminishes and panels cannot supply any or less than full power requirements, the battery discharges to supply any power demand until it is flat.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:20
So...being inspired by this thread, I had a assessment done for my house. 16 panals/Battery and all that jazz - $64k! The 25 year financing comes to $230 a month which is $100 MORE a month than what my current electricity bill comes to.

Even after I pay it off, it would take another 25 years before ROI. Gonna pass on this one...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:20
Did the sales rep have a carpet bag? Or are the panel frames in solid gold?
I took into account that they may have hi-balled the quote. Going to call one of their competitors and see if there is any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom