Something We, in the US Fail to Consider (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 02:36
Too many pundits in the US arrogantly act as if all technological advances are developed exclusively in the US. Consequently they proclaim that we must have strong intellectual property laws to protect those advances. What they fail to consider is that other countries may also have the capability to innonvate. Even surpassing US capabilities. Which may mean that we would have to steal from them to just keep up! Be careful of implementing laws that can bite you back in the future.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 01:36
it's a great idea I guess, but I have one question: how do you find the movie you want to watch quickly!? I'm still an advocate for the single disc per movie.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:36
I think there is a great tendency for a country to believe their own hype. For example, I repeatedly here US pundits talk about the US government system being the envy of the world. Yet what they don't seem to realise is that you never hear anyone outside of the US praising their government system. Instead, you are more likely to hear the opposite, such as why they conflate the justice system with political parties, where judges, for example, are chosen by a particular political party.

As for the UK, our politicians keep saying the NHS is the best medical system in the world. Well, if that is true, why do we have such appauling cancer rate survival compared to our European partners?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36

Something gratifying about seeing people faking disabilities finally getting caught.

Do you ever notice the handicapped parking spaces in parking lots? Somehow they always seem to be occupied by the same type of person. And that person seems to spryly leap from their car and go into the store with no help whatsoever. Such a gag

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I agree, we have to be careful about assuming things - I feel that my overall awareness of how fast and far China is coming on just about every tech and capability-front, is pretty high at this point.

The other day I read an article about pregnancy tests sending DNA or genetic information back to China - absolutely amazing how and where they are collecting intimate data on billions of people. Talk about power!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Prior to Clinton it was illegal to transfer computer technology to China it was in the EULA agreement. Now they build them for the world.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I just finished visiting my parents, my dad is 85. I was hit by a pessimistic streak mentally when I was talking to him, he just had this vibe that was kinda saying, without saying, "I'm glad I'm leaving this world soon - I've seen enough - good luck to these next generations!".

You know, sometimes just for a moment, although I'm usually a reasonably positive person.

It happened at a funny (and admittedly, more trivial) part of the conversation when we were talking about modesty in clothing. I was telling him something he didn't know was the case - how hard it is to find a pair of men's shorts that are as long as the normal cargo short used to be, especially if you are shopping as a young person in places like H&M, Hollister, F-21 etc. Not that this is a great example, because I don't care much if a man wears longer or shorter shorts, but it IS frustrating for my own self to have to search for stylish shorts that aren't 'short'. Funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom