Split database accde file can't open by more than one user (1 Viewer)

5hadow

Local time
Today, 15:44
Hello!

I have a database which I manually split. It contains no tables. Portal.accdb
Next, I have a back-end file with all tables Portal_be.accdb
Obviously tables are linked, everything works fine when using the application.

These files are hosted on a server file folder.
Next, I took Portal.accdb and saved it as Portal.accde in the parent folder on the same server.

Again, it works fine, but it does not let me have more than one user. I get the message:

1646056624632.png

Here is some more information:

Back-end only contains tables and they're local to back end file.
.accdb and .accde are linked to back-end file's tables AND there are 5 linked sharepoint tables.

I tried to hosting these sharepoint tables in the back-end as well (linked) but I have the same problem.

Do you have any suggestions?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:44
it is due to the recent windows update you received.
either rollback these updates or update your mso.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 12:44
Hello!

I have a database which I manually split. It contains no tables. Portal.accdb
Next, I have a back-end file with all tables Portal_be.accdb
Obviously tables are linked, everything works fine when using the application.

These files are hosted on a server file folder.
Next, I took Portal.accdb and saved it as Portal.accde in the parent folder on the same server.

Again, it works fine, but it does not let me have more than one user. I get the message:

View attachment 98679

Here is some more information:

Back-end only contains tables and they're local to back end file.
.accdb and .accde are linked to back-end file's tables AND there are 5 linked sharepoint tables.

I tried to hosting these sharepoint tables in the back-end as well (linked) but I have the same problem.

Do you have any suggestions?
First, this is a symptom of a recent bug introduced by a Windows Update. There were two in successive months, but they are impacting people as they just now are getting the updates installed. Fortunately, fixes are available. You can learn more about the most recent one here, along with the information about obtaining the fix for it.

Second, It sounds like you may be planning to let users share both the same accde Back End and the same accde Front End.
"Next, I took Portal.accdb and saved it as Portal.accde in the parent folder on the same server."

If so, that is likely to produce a self-incflicted problem. Users must, of course, share the Back End because that's where the data resides. They must not, on the other hand, share the same accde Front End because that's going to lead to problems. Instead, place a "Master" copy of the Front End somewhere safe from everyone and only deploy copies of the Front End onto the desktops of users. One copy for each.
That way if someone borks their Front End, all you need to do is give them a new copy. If they bork a shared Back End, everyone else is down at the same time.

However, that's the next step, right after resolving the issue with which Access builds you have and whether the fixes are all installed.

5hadow

Local time
First, this is a symptom of a recent bug introduced by a Windows Update. There were two in successive months, but they are impacting people as they just now are getting the updates installed. Fortunately, fixes are available. You can learn more about the most recent one here, along with the information about obtaining the fix for it.

Second, It sounds like you may be planning to let users share both the same accde Back End and the same accde Front End.
"Next, I took Portal.accdb and saved it as Portal.accde in the parent folder on the same server."

If so, that is likely to produce a self-incflicted problem. Users must, of course, share the Back End because that's where the data resides. They must not, on the other hand, share the same accde Front End because that's going to lead to problems. Instead, place a "Master" copy of the Front End somewhere safe from everyone and only deploy copies of the Front End onto the desktops of users. One copy for each.
That way if someone borks their Front End, all you need to do is give them a new copy. If they bork a shared Back End, everyone else is down at the same time.

However, that's the next step, right after resolving the issue with which Access builds you have and whether the fixes are all installed.
Hey there, thanks for reply.

I'm on version 1909 of Win 10 Enterprise. Not sure if this version has that bug.
OS Build - 18363.2037

Unfortunately, I cannot update windows as my organization does that, so I'm stuck with this for now I guess.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
NO. Distribute the FE properly. There are lots of threads here with information and tools. The simple way is to use a batch file that pulls down the current version of the FE and runs it on the local computer. But, people have also posted databases that you open instead of yours and those databases pull down the correct version from the server.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 12:44
Hey there, thanks for reply.

I'm on version 1909 of Win 10 Enterprise. Not sure if this version has that bug.
OS Build - 18363.2037

Unfortunately, I cannot update windows as my organization does that, so I'm stuck with this for now I guess.
Sorry, I misled you. We're talking about the build for ACCESS, not Windows. I said "Windows Update", but it was Office (including Access) that was impacted. Did you check the article in the link i provided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom