Split db and relationships (1 Viewer)

geralf

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:59
Hi!

I was just wondering about the relationships between tables in a split BE/FE setup. If you have set up the relationships in the BE, do you need the same relations set up in the FE relationship window?

Any insights to this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
No, the relationships in your BE will still be active for your FE. If you open the relationship window in the FE you should, I think, still see the relationships you set up in your BE. You cannot, however, set relationships between tables in two different DB files.

geralf

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks

I deleted all relationships in the FE, and ran the 'Analyser', I got prompted with 'create relationships between tableA and tableB' - hence my question. It seems like the db runs just as before though. The relationships is messed up visually in the FE, and I'm getting tired of arranging all the relationships in the FE.

Thanks foryour reply!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:59
You don't need to worry about how the relationships look in the FE. It is the BE where the need to be defined since that is where Access will check for them and apply them. Think of it this way. You can have a hundred different front ends. They could be unavailable because they are on a PC that is powered off or on a network that is down, Jet would never be able to manage relationships in the FE. What would happen if they condradict each other? Therefore, Jet ONLY uses relationships/RI defined in the BE.

This is why you can't enforce RI between a local table and a linked table. There is no place where the relationship can be stored. There is nothing about a BE that limits it to being linked to from only a single FE.

geralf

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pat!

Thanks for your reply Pat. Sounda quite logic really but it's good to get it confirmed.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom