Question Split DB Running Slow in Design View (1 Viewer)

mcktigger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:56
Hi All

I know there has been a lot of posts about this subject but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have a split DB. FE on each client and BE on network drive. When running the Db in working mode all is well and speed is not an issue. However when I'm updating or adding queries,reports or forms (local development version) it runs like a donkey in design view. It only affects those objects linked to the BE. I'm adding new tables and forms which have not yet been split and these run very fast in design view so it is not an issue with the PC.

I guess when changing objects linked to the BE it is pulling data over the network so slowing things up but what is the best practice for avoiding this.

Many thanks for any help given.

DevastatioN

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:56
Design view will run slow if a linked table is being accessed by someone else (that's what I find as well anyway).

If you create a persistent connection to the backend this should resolve the issue.

I create a tblConnection in the backend with a single field, and a single record "dummy". When you have the database open to do modifications etc, just open tblConnection and minimize it. Designview should be back to normal speed.

mcktigger

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:56
Works perfectly. Thanks for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom