split forms (1 Viewer)

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:58
G'day,
I have created a split form using the access 2010 standard form creation wizard and it seems to work ok except that the database form is too wide.
The data entry form is ok.
I have been fooling with it for quite a few hours without much success.
If I try to edit the form it shows me the data entry record form but not the database form. Hence I can't get in there to edit the database form shape, size width etc

Each time the form loads I seem to get two different results. In one case the datasheet and the single form view are perfect as per Snip1 with the horizontal scroll bar allowing me to view columns on the right if I so desire. If I then close the form and reopen it, the form appears to be too long and is over flowing the page in the datasheet area (as per snip2).
I have had similar problems with it sometimes loading and the datasheet view being too wide.
Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Snip1 ok.jpg
    Snip1 ok.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Snip2.jpg
    Snip2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 44

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:28
Split form is known to have some frustrating behavior.

Try setting the Split Form Size property to control height of the datasheet area (if Orientation property is set to left or right then Split Form Size sets width of datasheet area).

The form opens to full width of Access window and this cannot be altered.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:28
The emulated split form in this thread https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=294421 was designed to overcome many issues inherent in the standard split form.

It was a pain to do and went through many iterations before the final definitive version but that works well.

Have a look at it and see if it solves your problems.

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Colin,
Many thanks for your prompt response.
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to have suffered as a result of using the standard split form.
I'll go through the suggested link and examples today and see what I can do.
Once again thank you!
HealthyB

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You're welcome.

Another thing you should try first is to remove the 'layout guides' that Access (un)helpfully adds on all forms created with the wizard

Here is a split form I created as an example - lots of empty space

Go to design view and click on the edge of your controls until you see a dotted line and a small cross. Persevere if you don't find it immediately.

Now click on Remove Layout in the Arrange ribbon then reduce the control widths to whatever you want.
They don't have to be the same width as each other

You can also move the dividing bar between the two sections up/down as needed

The end result will be much better

Attachments

• CaptureB4.PNG
    CaptureB4.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 193
  • CaptureAFTER.PNG
    CaptureAFTER.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.8 KB · Views: 205

HealthyB1

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Colin,
I was aware of that gotcha and discovered same several years ago. But thanks for advising me of same.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You're welcome.
It might help someone else anyway.
I HATE the layout guides so never use the wizards to create anything these days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom