split/link/synchronize what the deal (1 Viewer)

REDaughdril

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:29
Ok, I’ve worked far too many hours to say and am now ready to put into action. I have some questions. I have multi uses that will use the db on our in-house network. So I plan to split the db. However I have other uses that must use the db that can not access the network. Here is my plan (please let me know if this is correct)
1. split the db
a. Main be on the network
b. Make multi copies of fe for all the others including off network.
2. Make replica for the off network db from the be on the network drive.
3. Copy to offsite computer and Re link the off network db with the replica db.
4. Copy the replicas to the network drive daily and synchronize with the be on the network. (our network is to slow to work online)

Is this correct? Thanks for the help.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:29
1. split the db
4. Copy the replicas to the network drive daily and synchronize with the be on the network. (our network is to slow to work online)

You were in good shape up until the last step. Replicas cannot be copied or moved once you start adding data into them -- they have to be synchronized in place. So, your offsite users either have to come into the office, plug into the LAN and synch direct, or you have to set up indirect replication.

The first is EASY.

The second is not so much hard as complicated, with a lot of steps, and dependencies on the networking setup being just right.

It can be done across the Internet if you set up a VPN.

But, no, you can't copy the replicas back and forth -- that breaks Jet replication and could eventually lead to complete loss of all the data in your replica set.

REDaughdril

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:29
How about this
1. split the db
4. Log on to the VPN and syn all 7 db with the be db.

Can this syn be done from windows without starting Access through a batch file from windows. Employee would doc the pc press a short cut and with a little computer magic the dbs are syn'ed.

Thanks for the help!

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:29
How about this
1. split the db
4. Log on to the VPN and syn all 7 db with the be db.

Well, sure, that's what you have to do, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

Can this syn be done from windows without starting Access through a batch file from windows. Employee would doc the pc press a short cut and with a little computer magic the dbs are syn'ed.

There are ways to do synchronization without loading Access, sure -- using the TSI Synchronizer and a VBScript works just fine.

But I don't know any way to make it happen automatically.

In any event, there's a lot more infrastructure that needs to be in place for indirect replication over VPN. You need to read up on indirect replication. You can find some resources on my Jet Replication Wiki:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

There's a link on the first page to all the resources you need to learn about how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom