Splitting One Record into Two? (1 Viewer)

BLT1976

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:19
Again, something that stumps me but should be easy for many of you. I have a Health Benefits Dbase where we are importing data from three seperate systems into Access. The information we are getting from benefits specifies either "PPO Basic" or "PPO Plus" for a number of the plans available. On each of these, I need to split them into "BCBS PPO Basic" and "UHC PPO Basic", taking ONE record with 5 pricing options and turning it into TWO records with 5 pricing options.

I have been trying to use an append query to add the records. Currently, my attempt is as follows:

If ([HU and HUF 2003 Test Rates]![Plan Type] ="PPO Basic") Then
["BCBS PPO Basic"]
["UHC PPO Basic"]
End If

Any suggestions?

BLT1976

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:19
You need two queries. One to update"PPO Basic" to "BCBS PPO Basic" . The second will be an append query that selects all rows with "BCBS PPO Basic" and appends the rows, with "UHC PPO Basic" substituted as the plan type.

BLT1976

Registered User.
Local time
Making progress..but one question

Pat-

Thanks for the help on this. I was able to create the BCBS addition to the records through the Update Query. In creating my Append Query to add the UHC plans, I have run into a problem. I have selected all the rows and they will append to the same database. Under the "Plan Type" column where I have the "BCBS PPO Basic" term, I have placed "BCBS PPO Basic" as the Criteria. However, I cannot figure out how to substitute the term "UHC PPO Basic" in the new appended records. Thanks for the help.

Brandon

BLT1976

Registered User.
Local time
Figured it out!

Pat-

Sorry about the bother, but I figured it out. I am SO THANKFUL for this forum and all the help it has given me. Kudos and keep up the good work!

Brandon

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:19
You will need the plan field to appear twice in the QBE grid. Once to select the old value and the second time to append the new value.

Field: PlanID
Selected checkbox - unchecked
Criteria:"BCBS PPO Basic"
Append To: leave empty

Field: "UHC PPO Basic"
Selected checkbox - checked
Criteria: leave empty
Append To: PlanID

BLT1976

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks

Had tried another way, but your way is much better. Thanks!

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom