SQL LOg (1 Viewer)

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:09
hi guys i was wondering if you can help me... i find a folder named 1 under my local\adminstrator\temp in my c drive in sql server, when i open this folder i have a sql.log file, this file is almost 3GB, i need to move it to another drive but it won't let me, can someone tell me how can i do that?

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Well, I've never heard of a transaction log being placed in a location like that, but ...

What error are you getting?

If it is a transaction log, then it is probably attached to a database and that is why you are not able to move it.

You can look at the sysfiles table in each database and see if they match the file/location you have.

SELECT * FROM sysfiles

Do this in each database.

Let me know if it matches anything you mention above.

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
thank you, but none of the transaction logs matches that location i gave you, this files seems to be updated every night too . i was reading an article regarading the sql.log , it said to go to control pannel, under odbc connections then go to tracing tab, stop it and then change its location, then started again, in there is the same location of where i am told you it was before,so i changed it for the other drive that i wanted to be moved to. Do you know what is the difference between this log? , i think the sql.log belongs to all the odbc tracing am i correct? if so besides changing its location in the odbc conections do i have to do anything else before deleting it from my previous location? everything seems to be working smoothly.

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Ah, tell me your role in your company. If your are not the DBA or a Network Admin, then I would leave it alone or go through those channels as these are the logs for any and all ODBC connections, not just SQL ODBC calls. These are reviewed and someone might get upset if they are in another location. If you are the DBA or Network Admin, and you were not aware of this log file, then I'm guessing that you do not review these and it would probably be better to just turn off ODBC tracing and delete the logs. These log files only hold value if they are reviewed. If you are having issues with making ODBC connections, then tracing can be turned back on to troubleshoot your issues. Otherwise, they cause a performance hit for something not even being reviewed.

But to answer your question, 3 GBs is an awfully large log file and can probably be deleted anyway. Turn off the trace, delete the file and then point it to where you want it to want it to go and turn tracing back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom