Question SQL Server on shared drive- real experiences? (1 Viewer)

Margarita

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:03
Hello,
Can someone provide a concrete explanation as to why exactly it is not recommended to create a sql server database on a network drive? If anyone has had an experience with sql server on a shared drive, can you please share what ups and downs you've had and would you, based on this experience, recommend that someone does this?

If anyone can provide a really compelling reason for why going on a shared drive is really a horrible idea, can you please provide some resources for connecting remote users to a hard disk sql server database and also any resources you may have for proper back up techniques. My knowledge of the topic is limited only to the scattered articles and posts I found in forums.

Thank you for any advice.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
SQL Server does stuff on the computer where it is installed. It doesn't just sit on a drive like a file. Is your question really - can I run SQL Server on an ordinary networked PC or do I need a dedicated server? The answer is A but you won't get the same performance you would get from a dedicated server. I run SQL Server on my home network. Granted, it is not a production environment but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom